Iran’s ex-president ousted as head of key state bodyMarch 8th, 2011 - 5:44 pm ICT by IANS
Tehran, March 8 (IANS) Former Iranian president Akbar Hashemi Rafsanjani was ousted as head of a key clerical body Tuesday after being criticised by hardliners for his proximity to the country’s beleaguered opposition.
Rafsanjani had chaired the Assembly of Experts, which appoints and supervises the activities of the Supreme Leader whose veto is final in the country’s political affairs, since 2007.
Ayatollah Mohammad Reza Mahdavi Kani, a conservative cleric, was elected to replace him, Mehr news agency said.
Rafsanjani had been attempting to bridge the gap between the president, populist hard-liner Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, and the fledgling reformist opposition.
- Iran's Rafsanjani defies clergy criticism - Jul 27, 2009
- WikiLeaks reveals Iran's Supreme Leader Ayatollah Khamenei has terminal cancer - Nov 30, 2010
- Rafsanjani to discuss Iran crisis with clerics - Jul 19, 2009
- Former Iranian president Rafsanjani urges Govt. not to take international sanctions as a "joke" - Sep 15, 2010
- Ex-Iranian president's daughter jailed - Jan 04, 2012
- Plot to kill Iran's supreme leader unearthed - Dec 11, 2011
- Six-year jail for former Iranian reformist - Jan 17, 2010
- Iran's Ayatollah Montazeri buried in Qom amid protests - Dec 22, 2009
- Rape claims 'sheer lies': Iran speaker - Aug 13, 2009
- Ahmadinejad sues senior religious leader for insulting remark - Sep 13, 2009
- Planned rally to support revolts draws Iranians anger - Feb 10, 2011
- Iranian judge orders action against jailed protesters - Jul 27, 2009
- Protesters should not be punished, says Khatami - Dec 21, 2009
- Ahmadinejad warns opposition ahead of protests - Jun 04, 2010
- Tension builds in Iran ahead of Rafsanjani's Friday sermon - Jul 17, 2009
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,