Iran’s diplomats abducted in 1982 were killed: Lebanese leaderFebruary 6th, 2009 - 2:02 pm ICT by IANS
Tehran, Feb 6 (IANS) Christian Lebanese Forces (LF) leader Samir Geagea has admitted that the four Iranian diplomats who went missing in Lebanon in 1982 were kidnapped at Alberiareh checkpoint and later killed, Mehr News reported Friday.However, Geagea late Wednesday refused to say how the diplomats were abducted. He also claimed he had no information of the place where they were killed.
The admission by Geagea came as Iranian Ambassador to Lebanon Mohammad Reza Sheibani said Tehran is seeking to form a joint committee with Lebanon to look into the case of the four missing diplomats, As-Safir daily reported.
“The Islamic Republic is calling to form an Iranian-Lebanese committee to follow up the details and circumstances of the case,” the ambassador noted.
The four Iranian diplomats were kidnapped by the LF militia in 1982 during the Israeli invasion of Lebanon.
Last week, Hezbollah chief Hassan Nasrallah said the Lebanese government was legally responsible to find out about the fate of the four diplomats.
The LF has the key to solve the mystery, Nasrallah said.
- Hezbollah chief calls on Lebanon to build nuclear reactor - Aug 25, 2010
- Police guarding Lebanese envoy's house in Syria killed - Sep 05, 2012
- Lebanese PM slams Hezbollah over missing diplomats issue - Jan 30, 2009
- Iran plans to sell more arms to 'friendly' states - Mar 11, 2012
- Hezbollah denies having chemical weapons - Sep 05, 2012
- US imposes sanctions on Hezbollah leaders - Sep 14, 2012
- Iran summons Swiss envoy over abductions in Syria - Aug 07, 2012
- Syria was shocked at top Hezbollah operative's assassination two yrs back: Wikileaks - Dec 08, 2010
- Israel on alert for Syrian weapons - Jul 19, 2012
- Hezbollah says ready for another war with Israel - Nov 12, 2010
- Hezbollah chief praises Israeli border clash as 'heroic' - Aug 04, 2010
- rael should not panic over a Hezbollah run Lebanon: Experts - Jan 25, 2011
- Israel should not panic over a Hezbollah run Lebanon: Experts - Jan 25, 2011
- Four killed as Israel, Lebanon exchange fire (Second lead) - Aug 04, 2010
- Hezbollah chief describes Israel as 'state of terror' - Jun 05, 2010
Tags: abducted, admission, checkpoint, circumstances, fate, hassan nasrallah, hezbollah, invasion of lebanon, iranian ambassador, iranian diplomats, islamic republic, israeli invasion of lebanon, joint committee, lebanese forces, lebanese government, militia, mohammad reza, safir, samir geagea, tehran