Iranian clerical group calls for nullification of electionJune 14th, 2009 - 2:24 am ICT by IANS
Tehran, June 14 (DPA) An influential Iranian clergy group Saturday protested against alleged fraud in the presidential election counting process and called for the nullification of the election.
The Islamic Combatant Clergy Association (ICCA), which is close to former president Mohammad Khatami and supported Mir-Hossiein Moussavi in Friday’s election, said on its website that the election should be nullified and held again in a calmer, more logical and more just atmosphere.
After an emergency session in Tehran, the ICCA regretted that the counting process was “widely engineered (manipulated)” and said there was enough evidence to prove the manipulation and to nullify the election.
“We will not leave Moussavi alone,” the ICCA said in its statement.
Referring to violent street clashes between Moussavi supporters and police, the ICCA said that urgent steps such as repeating the election or at least carefully re-examining the votes would be needed to restore national reconciliation.
Clashes between Moussavi supporters and police continued Saturday night. Also sporadic shootings were heard in several parts of Tehran.
It is also said that at least in some parts of the capital the mobile phone system was down and hindering communication between the demonstrators.
- About 100 arrested in Iran post-poll violence - Jun 14, 2009
- Pro-Moussavi protestors in Iran demand new election - Jun 18, 2009
- Renewed clashes in Tehran as Moussavi plans speech - Jun 15, 2009
- Moussavi calls on Guardian Council to nullify election - Jun 14, 2009
- Khamenei calls for an end to Iran's election disputes - Jun 28, 2009
- Iranian MPs call for death to opposition leaders - Feb 15, 2011
- Ahmadinejad links unrest to US, 'Zionists' - Dec 30, 2009
- Police use tear gas to disperse protests in Tehran - Dec 27, 2009
- Khatami quits Iranian presidential race - Mar 17, 2009
- Six-year jail for former Iranian reformist - Jan 17, 2010
- Ahmadinejad leads in Iran election - Jun 13, 2009
- Hundreds of thousands join protest rally in Tehran (Lead) - Jun 16, 2009
- Black, green prevail as Tehran streets again thronged (Lead) - Jun 18, 2009
- Iran's ex-president slams detainees' trial as 'stage show' - Aug 02, 2009
- Ahmadinejad sues senior religious leader for insulting remark - Sep 13, 2009
Tags: clergy, clerical group, demonstrators, emergency session, former president, fraud, icca, june 14, manipulation, mobile phone system, mohammad khatami, moussavi, national reconciliation, nullification, president mohammad khatami, presidential election, saturday night, street clashes, tehran, urgent steps