Iran warns Iraq over prolonged presence of US forcesMarch 1st, 2009 - 4:40 am ICT by IANS
Tehran, March 1 (DPA) Iran’s supreme leader Saturday warned Iraq over the prolonged presence of US forces in that country, the Iranian media reported.
“The occupiers are preparing grounds for a long and enduring presence in Iraq and this is a big danger of which the Iraqi officials should be aware,” Ayatollah Ali Khamenei told visiting Iraqi President Jalal Talabani.
US President Barack Obama announced Friday that he will withdraw most US combat troops from Iraq by the end of August 2010, sharply reducing the American presence but keeping in place thousands of soldiers to support and train Iraqi forces.
“The occupying military forces (US) should withdraw from Iraq as soon as possible as even a one-day delay would be to Iraq’s disadvantage,” said Ayatollah Khamenei, who in line with the Iranian constitution has the final say on all state affairs.
“It is rather to Iraq’s advantage to oppose the demands by the aliens as they are also against close ties between Iraq and Iran,” Khamanei added.
There are presently more than 140,000 US troops in Iraq. Obama plans to keep about 35,000 to 50,000 soldiers to help train and equip the Iraqis and participate in special counterterrorism missions. The pace of the withdrawal is to be determined by the commanders on the ground.
- US likely to keep 10,000 troops in Iraq - Apr 22, 2011
- US troops to be out of Iraq this year - Dec 12, 2011
- Biden pays surprise visit to Iraq - Nov 30, 2011
- 'Only 17,000 US soldiers left in Iraq' - Nov 25, 2011
- Last US troops out of Iraq (Lead) - Dec 18, 2011
- Iran hails Iraq's 'growing influence' - Apr 24, 2012
- Biden arrives in Iraq to mark combat end - Aug 31, 2010
- Iran hails US withdrawal from Iraq - Jan 02, 2012
- Obama says Iraqi withdrawal on schedule - Aug 02, 2010
- Iraq better off after US withdrawal: Russia - Mar 16, 2012
- American Vice President, Joe Biden, Is In Iraq To Assure Complete American Backing For The Iraqi People - Aug 31, 2010
- US officials redraw Iraqi troops training plan - Oct 09, 2011
- U.S. Vice President Joe Biden arrives in Baghdad on surprise visit - Jul 03, 2010
- Final brigade of US combat troops leaves Iraq - Aug 19, 2010
- US under illusion that sanctions are affecting Iran: Khamenei - Mar 09, 2012
Tags: ali khamenei, american presence, ayatollah ali khamenei, ayatollah khamenei, barack obama, close ties, combat troops, counterterrorism, iranian constitution, iranian media, iraqi officials, iraqi president jalal talabani, jalal talabani, khamanei, military forces, place thousands, president jalal talabani, state affairs, supreme leader, troops in iraq