Iran to announce new ‘big’ nuclear achievementsFebruary 11th, 2012 - 5:58 pm ICT by IANS
Tehran, Feb 11 (IANS) Iran will soon announce new “big” nuclear achievements, President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad said Saturday on the occasion of the 33rd anniversary of the Islamic revolution.
Addressing a crowd in the capital, Ahmadinejad said: “In the following days, the world will witness the inauguration of several big achievements in nuclear fields.”
Chanting anti-US and anti-Israel slogans, thousands of Iranians carrying flags and banners gathered at the Azadi (liberty) Square in Tehran to celebrate the anniversary of the 1979 revolution that toppled the Shah, Xinhua reported.
Ahmadinejad also said Iran will not surrender to Western pressures and coercion over its nuclear issue.
Western nations suspect Iran, which is already under four sets of UN Security Council sanctions, of pursuing a secret nuclear weapons programme but Tehran insists it needs nuclear power solely for civilian purposes.
Tensions over Iran’s nuclear activities have reached boiling point since Tehran announced that it had launched a nuclear enrichment programme at a well-protected underground facility near the city of Qom.
Tehran has also threatened to block the Straight of Hormuz, a strategic waterway where an estimated 40 percent of the world’s seaborne oil passes, in response to a European ban on Iranian oil imports due to come into force July 1.
- Iran marks 33rd anniversary of Islamic Revolution - Feb 12, 2012
- New Iran sanctions not to disrupt oil markets: US - Feb 03, 2012
- Iran to hold biggest naval war games - Jan 06, 2012
- Ahmadinejad to unveil nuclear achievements Wednesday - Feb 15, 2012
- 'EU sanctions on Iran may push oil prices to $150' - Jan 30, 2012
- European parliament urges Russia, China to back Iran sanctions - Feb 03, 2012
- Moscow urges Iran to respond to IAEA concerns - Feb 27, 2012
- 'Iran won't give in to western pressure' - Feb 12, 2012
- IAEA team arrives in Iran - Jan 29, 2012
- Iran denies Greece 500,000 barrels of oil - Feb 26, 2012
- Iran may ban import of all European goods - Jan 29, 2012
- Obama sees no basis for Iranian attack on US - Feb 06, 2012
- Iran to shut Hormuz Strait if threatened: Officials - Jul 07, 2012
- Iran reports arrests of 'several' US spies - Jan 09, 2012
- Iran unveils nuclear achievements, cuts oil exports (Lead) - Feb 15, 2012
Tags: boiling point, civilian purposes, enrichment programme, flags and banners, iranian oil, iranians, islamic revolution, liberty square, mahmoud ahmadinejad, nuclear activities, nuclear enrichment, nuclear fields, nuclear issue, nuclear weapons, oil imports, president mahmoud ahmadinejad, qom, un security council, underground facility, xinhua