Iran stresses support to SyriaAugust 27th, 2012 - 8:13 am ICT by IANS
Damascus, Aug 27 (IANS) Iran’s national security chief has said his country stands against any foreign intervention in Syria, and that the Non-Aligned Movement (NAM) summit in Tehran will aim at resolving the 18-month-old crisis in Syria.
Alaeddin Boroujerdi made the remarks in the Syrian capital, after meeting Syrian President Bashar al-Assad, his deputy Farouq al-Shara’a and Foreign Minister Walid al-Moallem, Xinhua reported.
The talks touched upon a fresh initiative by Iran, which will also be discussed at the NAM summit, the report said.
The Iranian official criticised the US and its allies, and accused them of not supporting a political solution to the Syrian crisis, but rather pushing towards militarisation.
“We (Iran) are at full readiness to provide the suitable ground for undergoing discussions with the Syrian opposition with the participation of the Syrian government and we think that the only way out of this crisis is the political one,” he was quoted as saying.
- Iranian parliamentary delegation in Syria for talks - Aug 26, 2012
- Syrian TV denies intelligence chief's murder - Aug 27, 2012
- Syria warns nations against recognising rebel council - Oct 09, 2011
- India bats for UN-led resolution of Syria crisis - Aug 14, 2012
- Significant devastation in Syria's Homs: UN official - Mar 09, 2012
- Thousands of Syrians rally in support of Assad - Nov 19, 2011
- Assad offers Eid prayers - Aug 19, 2012
- India, US to brainstorm on Syria, Iran - Aug 16, 2012
- Syria, Iran waive visas as leaders meet in Damascus - Feb 25, 2010
- Syrian vice president defects: Rebels - Aug 18, 2012
- Iran rejects foreign intervention in Syria - Aug 08, 2012
- US sees no Iranian role in ending Syrian violence - Jul 11, 2012
- Syria's Assad unveils new government - Jun 23, 2012
- India, US discuss Syria, Iran - Aug 22, 2012
- 'Annan to visit Iran for Syria talks' - Apr 05, 2012
Tags: alaeddin boroujerdi, allies, bashar al assad, damascus, foreign minister, iranian official, moallem, nam summit, national security chief, non aligned movement, political solution, president bashar, shara, syrian capital, syrian government, syrian opposition, syrian president bashar al, tehran, walid, xinhua