Iran protests Sarkozy remark against AhmadinejadDecember 11th, 2008 - 7:15 pm ICT by IANS
Tehran, Dec 11 (IANS) Iran has lodged a strong protest against French President Nicholas Sarkozy’s remark against President Mehmoud Ahmadinejad and warned Paris of adverse impact on bilateral relations, official IRNA news agency reported Thursday.The Iranian foreign ministry summoned French envoy Bernard Poletti Wednesday, and told him that “France’s approach towards Iran would leave unsuitable consequences on bilateral ties”.
In a speech on the occasion of the 60th anniversary of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Sarkozy said Monday he would not hold direct talks with Ahmadinejad as he did not represent the Iranian people.
Deputy Foreign Minister for European Affairs Mehdi Safari voiced Tehran’s indignation over the comments, saying such remarks would have adverse consequences on Tehran-Paris future relations.
“I know perfectly well that the Iranian president does not represent Iran, much less the Iranian people,” the French president said.
Sarkozy said he had told former UN secretary-general Kofi Annan that he (Sarkozy) would not shake hands with Ahmadinejad “who dared to say Israel must be erased from the map”.
Western states, led by the US, suspect the Islamic country of secretly pursuing a nuclear weapons programme. Last month, the UN General Assembly passed a resolution criticising human rights violations in Iran.
- Iran hopes new French president will reconsider past policies - May 07, 2012
- Annan to visit Iran next week on Syria - Apr 05, 2012
- Iran vows support to Syrian leadership - Mar 31, 2012
- US playing blame game over Annan resignation: Iran - Aug 03, 2012
- 'Annan to visit Iran for Syria talks' - Apr 05, 2012
- Iran not to pursue n-bomb production - May 31, 2012
- Annan's peace plan still alive :Iran - Aug 10, 2012
- Iran renews support for Annan's Syria peace plan - Aug 01, 2012
- Paris, Tehran blast Iran media insults of Carla Bruni - Aug 31, 2010
- India, Iran cooperation can help regional peace: Ahmadinejad - Nov 07, 2011
- Meira Kumar meets Iranian President Ahmadinejad - Nov 05, 2011
- Iran launches Spanish language TV channel - Feb 01, 2012
- Iranians not after weapons, favour culture: Ahmadinejad - Nov 13, 2011
- Salehi warns against abrupt political change in Syria - Aug 10, 2012
- Syria on brink of civil war: Russia - Apr 21, 2012
Tags: 60th anniversary, bilateral ties, declaration of human rights, french envoy, human rights violations, iranian foreign ministry, kofi annan, nicholas sarkozy, secretary general kofi, universal declaration of human rights