Iran celebrates 30 years of Islamic revolutionJanuary 31st, 2009 - 8:36 pm ICT by IANS
Tehran, Jan 31 (IANS) Ten days of fastivities began in Iran Saturday to mark the 30th anniversary of Islamic revolution and the homecoming of the country’s revolutionary father Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini after 15 years of exile.School bells across the country rang Saturday morning to mark the return of Khomeini who led the revolution to overthrow the shah, who ruled Iran for almost four decades, the official IRNA news agency reported.
Trains, ships and factories also sounded their whistles in the morning precisely at 9:33 a.m. to pay tribute the the glorios home coming of Khomeini on this day in 1979.
Khomeini actually returned to Iran oOn Feb 1, 1979, but his return is being celebrated on Jan 31 this year because it is a leap year in the Iranian calendar.
On the occasion, a large number of schoolchildren in different parts of the country performed various cultural and artistic programmes.
Education Minister Ali-Reza Ali-Ahmadi rang the bell of a secondary school in southern Tehran this morning to begin the celebrations that will run for ten days.
Addressing at the school, the minister said the leadership of the Imam Khomeini and vast presence of people in all aspects of life led to the victory of the 1979 Islamic Revolution in the country.
“Today, the Islamic Republic is free and independent and follows the Islamic values and principles,” he added.
“The Iranian nation, through unity and solidarity, managed to neutralise the enemy’s conspiracies in the past three decades following the victory of the Islamic Revolution,” he added.
According to media reports, Iran’s supreme leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei and President Mahmoud Amadinejad along with his cabinet and military commanders gathered at Khomeini’s mausoleum in southern Tehran and paid tribute to the revolutionary leader.
- Iran marks 33rd anniversary of Islamic Revolution - Feb 12, 2012
- 'Mideast massive protests' a replay of 1979 Islamic revolution: Iranian conservatives - Jan 29, 2011
- Iran's Ayatollah Khamenei praises unrest in Egypt, Tunisia - Feb 05, 2011
- Iranian navy launches first indigenously built warship - Feb 19, 2010
- Iran celebrates 30th anniversary of Islamic revolution - Feb 01, 2009
- Ahmadinejad warns opposition ahead of protests - Jun 04, 2010
- Iran's Ayatollah Montazeri dies (Lead) - Dec 20, 2009
- Iranian Ayatollah Montazeri dies - Dec 20, 2009
- Planned Tehran march in support of Egypt protests will test Iranian regime: Opposition leader - Feb 09, 2011
- Grand Ayatollah Hossein Ali Montazeri Died In Sleep - Dec 20, 2009
- Iran's parliamentary elections blow to enemies: Khamenei - Mar 01, 2012
- TV series to explore life of Iran's last shah - May 14, 2011
- Iran to 'powerfully' respond to a US attack - Nov 10, 2011
- Mubarak's exit will see emergence of new Middle East: Iran's Ahmadinejad - Feb 12, 2011
- Fatwas outrageous, laugh for sanity: Iranian writer (Interview) - Jan 23, 2012
Tags: 30th anniversary, ali ahmadi, ali khamenei, ali reza, ayatollah ali khamenei, ayatollah ruhollah khomeini, education minister, imam khomeini, iranian calendar, iranian nation, islamic revolution, islamic values, leap year, revolutionary leader, reza ali, ruhollah khomeini, school bells, supreme leader ayatollah, supreme leader ayatollah ali khamenei, three decades