IOA adpots a wait and watch policy on KalmadiMay 24th, 2011 - 7:07 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 24 (IANS) The Indian Olympic Association (IOA) has adopted a wait and watch policy in regard to its jailed president Suresh Kalmadi, taking the stand that he has not been arrested for his role as president of the apex body of Indian sports but as the chairman of the Commonwealth Games Organising Committee.
Asked whether the IOA was standing by Kalmadi, officiating president Vijay Kumar Malhotra said: “It is not a question of siding with anybody. It is a sad reflection of Indian sports. IOA is not involved in this. Mr. Kalmadi was not arrested as the IOA president, but as the chairman of the Commonwealth Games Organising Committee.”
Malhotra said that nothing incriminating has been found against the IOA in the Commonwealth Games scam, in which the contract for TSR (timing scoring and result) system was awarded to Swiss Timing at exorbitant rates for the Games.
“Nothing has been found against us. We will take decision as per our constitution,” Malhotra said.
The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) has named Kalmadi as the prime accused and has also called him the “mastermind” in the financial irregularities scam of the Commonwealth Games. Kalmadi, organising committee secretary Lalit Bhanot and director general V.K. Verma are languishing in Tihar Jail.
The CBI has alleged that the accused officials colluded to award the contract for the TSR system to Swiss Timing at an inflated cost of Rs.141 crore, causing a loss to the tune of Rs.95 crore to the exchequer.
Kalmadi and his team are accused of pocketing the entire amount as kickbacks. Swiss Timing, in turn, outsourced parts of the contract to Gem International and AKR Constructions.
- CBI files chargesheet against Kalmadi, eight others (Second Lead) - May 20, 2011
- Award of contract to Swiss Timing transparent, says Bhanot - Aug 03, 2012
- Kalmadi in no mood to resign as IOA president - Jan 20, 2012
- CBI charges Kalmadi, eight others in CWG case (Third Lead) - May 20, 2011
- Kalmadi welcome to resume as IOA president, says Tarlochan - Jan 19, 2012
- CBI names Kalmadi prime accused in CWG chargesheet (Roundup) - May 20, 2011
- Accused should not continue as office bearer: Sports minister - Jan 20, 2012
- CWG timing system contract case: Key points of charge sheet - May 24, 2011
- CWG scam: Private firm promoter surrenders - Aug 20, 2011
- CWG graft: Bhanot denies financial role - Jul 26, 2012
- Bhanot opposes charges in CWG graft case (Lead) - Jul 24, 2012
- Kalmadi sent to eight days in police custody (Intro Roundup) - Apr 26, 2011
- Judicial custody of Kalmadi, other CWG scam accused extended - Jul 14, 2011
- CWG scam: Bhanot calls CBI case prejudiced - Jul 27, 2012
- Had no option but to give contract to Swiss firm: Jarnail - Apr 29, 2011
Tags: apex body, cbi, central bureau of investigation, committee secretary, commonwealth games, exorbitant rates, financial irregularities, indian olympic association, indian sports, ioa president, kickbacks, lalit bhanot, malhotra, organising committee, result system, sad reflection, suresh kalmadi, swiss timing, v k verma, vijay kumar