International Tamil rebel network still active: Sri LankaJune 21st, 2010 - 7:09 pm ICT by IANS
Colombo, June 21 (DPA) Sri Lanka’s defence secretary warned Monday that an international Tamil rebel network was still active a year after the separatists were defeated militarily.
Gotabhaya Rajapaksa, who is also President Mahinda Rajapaksa’s brother, said Tamil groups in Europe and the US still carry the ideology of the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE).
“The intelligence units of the army and other security services have to be vigilant,” he said, while inaugurating a military base in the former rebel stronghold of Mullaitivu, 350 km north of the capital.
“Security forces should now concentrate on maintaining peace that was achieved amidst difficulties. They have an important role to play to prevent the country sliding back to that dark era,” he said.
The LTTE was defeated in May 2009, ending a 26-year war.
Also Monday, a court remanded a man for carrying a photograph of the ex-Tamil rebel chief, Velupillai Prabhakaran, who was killed in the final stages of the conflict.
A. Chandana, a civilian of the majority Sinhala community, said he had kept the photograph to show to his children.
Police arrested him on charges of promoting the banned LTTE.
- A candid post-mortem of the LTTE (Book Review) - Jul 16, 2012
- India wanted LTTE 'put in its place': Norway report - Nov 11, 2011
- Sri Lanka's military chief resigns, may run for presidency - Nov 12, 2009
- Sri Lanka, Singapore sign trade agreement - Feb 16, 2012
- President Rajapaksa visits former LTTE hub Kilinochchi (Third Lead with images) - Apr 16, 2009
- War with LTTE rapidly nearing its end: Rajapaksa (Lead) - May 07, 2009
- Solheim to visit Sri Lanka -- to mend fences - Oct 18, 2010
- Indian MP refused entry into Sri Lanka - Feb 22, 2011
- Sri Lanka's president to visit India - Jun 07, 2010
- Police raid defeated presidential candidate's office in Sri Lanka - Jan 29, 2010
- 35 killed as troops break through LTTE defence line: Sri Lanka - May 09, 2009
- Rajapaksa visits former Tamil Tigers hub Kilinochchi (Second Lead) - Apr 16, 2009
- Don't attend Sri Lanka military conference: rights body - May 24, 2011
- Released former LTTE members facing rehabilitation problems in society - Jan 04, 2011
- Tamil diaspora elusive over its role in Sri Lanka after Rajapaksa's re-election - Jan 28, 2010
Tags: capital security, chandana, defence secretary, dpa, intelligence units, june 21, liberation tigers of tamil eelam, liberation tigers of tamil eelam ltte, mahinda rajapaksa, military base, mullaitivu, photograph, rebel stronghold, security forces, security services, separatists, sri lanka colombo, tamil groups, tamil rebel, velupillai prabhakaran