Intellectuals close to Trinamool congratulate MamataMay 14th, 2011 - 11:06 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, May 14 (IANS) Prominent intellectuals and artistes close to Trinamool Congress Saturday congratulated party chief Mamata Banerjee on her landslide victory and expressed the hope that she will take West Bengal to new heights.
“I congratulate Mamata Banerjee and her supporters for their enormous victory. Banerjee is a lady with the light who will show light to the people of Bengal,” said veteran actress Sandhya Roy.
“People have defeated the misrule of the Left Front and CPI-M (Communist Party of India-Marxist). We are very happy with this newly found independence under the leadership and mentorship of Banerjee,” said painter Samir Aich after coming out of Banerjee’s residence.
The Trinamool-Congress-Congress alliance decimated the 34-year old Left Front government bagging 227 seats in the 294-member state assembly.
“I wish every body in Bengal a happy new year. Yesterday (May 13) was a new year for Bengal as we have entered a new era by defeating the Left Front. I wish everybody a happy new year,” said renowned Bengali film director Haranath Chakroborty.
“I wish Mamata Banerjee all the success. Everybody wanted a change so we all are very happy,” said actor Ranjit Mullick.
Many intellectuals visited Banerjee’s residence to congratulate her on her landslide victory and wish her luck for her chief ministerial stint, which ought to begin in the next few days.
These intellectuals have been an unofficial part of Trinamool for the last two years. They have been openly rooting for Banerjee’s party from the days of the anti-land acquisition agitations in Nandigram and Singur.
- PM congratulates Mamata, Gogoi - May 13, 2011
- Victory of people, new freedom for Bengal: Mamata (Lead) - May 13, 2011
- Former CPI-M lawmaker meets Mamata, wants to join Trinamool - May 19, 2011
- Congress officially extends support to Trinamool - May 15, 2011
- Trinamool legislators to meet Sunday - May 14, 2011
- Left rout 'historic verdict', says Mamata (Second Lead) - May 13, 2011
- PM, Sonia congratulate Mamata - May 13, 2011
- I have invited Congress to join government: Mamata - May 16, 2011
- Bangladesh applauds Mamata win - May 14, 2011
- Celebrities take on Left Front veterans for Trinamool - Apr 26, 2011
- Once close to Left, Bengal's thinkers seek change - Apr 29, 2011
- Mamata congratulates people for Trinamool's landslide victory - May 13, 2011
- Mamata Banerjee: Timeline of an intrepid politician - May 20, 2011
- Buddhadeb, Biman, Mamata at same function - at long last - May 20, 2011
- Hundreds continue to throng Mamata's Kalighat house - May 14, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,