INLD leader gunned down in HaryanaFebruary 24th, 2011 - 9:16 pm ICT by IANS
Rohtak, Feb 24 (IANS) A leader of Haryana’s opposition Indian National Lok Dal (INLD) who was staging a sit-in for the past one month to protest against the state government’s land acquisition policy was gunned down by four men here Thursday, police said. One of the assailants was chased and shot dead by the police, while the rest have been arrested.According to the police, the deceased was identified as Manoj Sindhu, former sarpanch of Khedi Saadh village here and vice president of the Kisan Sangharsh Samiti that was carrying out the anti-land acquisition campaign.
Police said that Sindhu, who was also the district president of the rural wing of INLD, was staging a sit-in at the entrance of the Modern Industrial Township (MIT) on National Highway-10 here when he was attacked.
“Four assailants attacked Sindhu today. We started chasing them and intercepted their car near Pakasma village, which is around five km away. During the encounter, one of them was killed while other three sustained bullet injuries,” Inspector General of Police (Rohtak) V. Kamaraja said.
“The injured have been admitted at Post Graduate Institute of Medical Sciences (PGIMS) here. The men were earlier sitting at the protest site and one of them fired at Sindhu from close range,” he added.
Following the shooting, residents of Khedi Saadh village blocked the national highway and also damaged a Haryana Roadway bus here. Scores of INLD workers also gathered to protest against the police.
“From the preliminary investigation, we suspect that some personal animosity is behind this incident. Our investigation is under process,” said Kamaraja.
- Assailants ambush police van, three prisoners killed (Lead) - Mar 11, 2012
- Haryana ex-legislator surrenders after 3-week stand-off - May 27, 2011
- Rioting, blockade over power cuts in Hooda's district - Sep 02, 2012
- 25 hurt as Haryana farmers' land stir turns violent (Lead, Changing dateline) - Jul 22, 2012
- Acid attack on woman volleyball player in Haryana - May 26, 2012
- Haryana bus strike hits thousands (Second Lead) - Jun 08, 2011
- Prison van attacked in Haryana, three dead - Mar 10, 2012
- Abducted Noida man found in Haryana - Jan 11, 2011
- Three of family murdered in Haryana's Sonipat - Apr 20, 2012
- Scandals to protests, Hooda gets busy this summer (Haryana Newsletter) - Jul 06, 2012
- Rohtak medical student falls from hostel roof, dies - Jul 06, 2012
- Jat agitators block Hisar-Delhi road, rail tracks - Mar 07, 2012
- Over 50 injured as Haryana farmers clash with police (Second Lead) - Jul 22, 2012
- Man kills father, aunt in Haryana village - Jul 25, 2010
- Two killed in hospital firing, cops suspect business enmity (Second Lead) - May 19, 2011
Tags: acquisition policy, assailants, close range, deceased, district president, four men, graduate institute, inld, inspector general, land acquisition, lok, medical sciences, personal animosity, post graduate, preliminary investigation, protest site, roadway, rohtak, sangharsh, state government