Indians in US celebrate a rainy Independence DayAugust 16th, 2010 - 12:16 am ICT by IANS
By Arun Kumar
Washington, Aug 15 (IANS) Dressed in a sky blue sari, Indian ambassador to the US Meera Shankar unfurled the tricolour here in pouring rain as Indians across America celebrated the country’s 64th Independence Day.
After the singing of the national anthem, the gathered Indian community, waving small Indian flags, moved inside the embassy residence where Shankar read President Pratibha Patil’s message to the nation.
Patriotic songs in seven Indian languages were sung followed by a feast of pan-Indian snacks. Similar functions were held at the Indian consulates in New York, Chicago, San Francisco and Houston.
Indian-Americans held an India Day Parade in the heart of New York in Manhattan with Bollywood star Preity Zinta leading as grand master. Atlantic City also witnessed its first-ever India Day parade Saturday.
Participants included the Indo-American Senior Citizens Organization of Atlantic County, the Indian Business Association and the Mokshaa Dance Academy of Galloway Township.
Mayor Lorenzo Langford said that he hoped the parade would become an annual event, adding that “I hope it grows by leaps and bounds”.
The parade itself was just one part of the multi-day event, which included the decoration of New Jersey Transit’s ACES train from New York to Atlantic City, a concert by British singer Jay Sean and an India Festival.
(Arun Kumar can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Flag hoisting, anti-graft parades mark Independence Day in US - Aug 16, 2011
- Indian-Americans celebrate I-day while Sunita greets from space (Lead) - Aug 15, 2012
- India Day Parade fills New York with its sights, sounds and stars - Aug 20, 2012
- Indian Americans celebrate I-Day with colourful parades - Aug 15, 2012
- Karnataka celebrates Independence Day - Aug 15, 2012
- Karnataka celebrates Independence Day (Lead) - Aug 15, 2012
- Shared beliefs make US-India ties a defining partnership: Obama - Jan 26, 2011
- Celebration and introspection... India goes tricolour on 63rd R-Day (Roundup) - Jan 26, 2012
- Low key I-Day celebrations in Maharashtra - Aug 15, 2012
- Karnataka governor hoists tricolour - Jan 26, 2011
- Gowda vows to implement Yeddyurappa's programmes (Lead) - Aug 15, 2011
- Obama lights diya to celebrate Diwali at White House - Oct 29, 2011
- Karnataka celebrates Republic Day - Jan 26, 2012
- Karnataka draws action plan for drought-hit (Second Lead) - Aug 15, 2012
- India-US meet to explore mutual business opportunities - May 15, 2012
Tags: arun kumar, bollywood star, british singer, citizens organization, consulates in new york, galloway township, heart of new york, india festival, indian ambassador, indian consulates, indian flags, indian languages, indian snacks, indo american, leaps and bounds, national anthem, new jersey transit, pouring rain, preity zinta, president pratibha patil