Indian parliament pays tribute to tsunami victims (Lead)March 14th, 2011 - 3:46 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, March 14 (IANS) Both houses of parliament Monday paid tributes to the victims of the massive earthquake and tsunami that hit Japan Friday.
“We express heartfelt sympathy and deepest condolences to the friendly people of Japan who lost their near and dear ones in the tragedy. It is a tragedy of incalculable magnitude,” Rajya Sabha Chairman M. Hamid Ansari said in the upper house.
In Lok Sabha, Speaker Meira Kumar expressed grief at the loss of lives and wished speedy recovery to the injured.
“The Lok Sabha expresses its heartfelt condolences for the loss of lives and damage to the property in Japan,” Meira Kumar said in the house as soon as the MPs assembled at 11 a.m.
Members in both the houses stood in silence to pay homage to the victims.
An earthquake measuring 9 on the Richter scale hit Japan Friday afternoon triggering huge tsunami waves that lashed the country’s northeastern coast. Thousands are believed to have perished in the tragedy with many more still missing.
- Parliament pays homage to Japan quake, tsunami victims - Mar 14, 2011
- Indian parliament mourns Japan tsunami deaths - Mar 14, 2011
- India offers help to tsunami-hit Japan (Second Lead) - Mar 11, 2011
- ASEAN offers help to quake-hit Japan - Mar 12, 2011
- Minute's silence in Lok Sabha for building collapse victims - Nov 22, 2010
- At least 91 dead, scores missing after quake, tsunamis devastate Japan - Mar 11, 2011
- Bollywood celebs pray for disaster-hit Japan - Mar 12, 2011
- Celebrities tweet their prayers to Japan's quake, Tsunami victims - Mar 12, 2011
- PM condoles loss of life in Japan earthquake, offers help - Mar 11, 2011
- US ready to aid Iran in quake relief - Aug 13, 2012
- PM visits Japanese embassy, offers Indian assistance - Mar 18, 2011
- Manmohan Singh condoles loss of life and property in conversation with Japan PM - Mar 24, 2011
- Rajya Sabha mourns victims of Delhi building collapse - Nov 18, 2010
- Meira Kumar pained over Sikkim quake - Sep 21, 2011
- Manmohan Singh speaks to Japanese PM, offers more help - Mar 24, 2011
Tags: deepest condolences, friday afternoon, hamid ansari, heartfelt condolences, heartfelt sympathy, homage, houses of parliament, indian parliament, Lok Sabha, massive earthquake, meira kumar, mps, New Delhi, northeastern coast, richter scale, speedy recovery, tributes, tsunami victims, tsunami waves, upper house