Indian general election begins (Second Lead)April 16th, 2009 - 9:24 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 16 (IANS) Indians began voting Thursday morning to pick a new 545-seat Lok Sabha in the first phase of staggered elections widely expected to throw up a split verdict.
Polling centres opened at 7 a.m. in 124 constituencies across 15 states and two union territories amid tight security, Election Commission officials here said.
About 143 million of India’s 714 million voters are eligible to exercise their franchise in the first of five rounds in 185,552 polling centres. A total of 1,715 candidates are in the fray.
Over 300,000 electronic voting machines are being used. Tens of thousands of election staff and security personnel have been deployed to conduct the electoral exercise — the world’s largest.
Kerala, Arunachal Pradesh, Meghalaya, Mizoram, Nagaland, Chhattisgarh, Andaman and Nicobar Island and Lakshwadeep will see voting Thurday in all constituencies besides parts of Andhra Pradesh, Assam, Bihar, Uttar Pradesh, Jammu and Kashmir, Maharashtra, Manipur, Orissa and Jharkhand.
Simultaneous balloting began to elect state assemblies in Orissa and Andhra Pradesh.
The main parties in the fray are the Bharatiya Janata Party (102 seats), Congress (111), Bahujan Samaj Party (111), Communist Party of India-Marxist (23), Nationalist Congress Party (14) and Communist Party of India (15)
The millions of votes cast in the April-May elections will be counted May 16.
- Election 2009 begins in India, but leaves a trail of violence (Afternoon Lead) - Apr 16, 2009
- India exercises its ballot, amid bullets and blasts (Evening Lead) - Apr 16, 2009
- Maoists mar first round of India's balloting with violence (Roundup) - Apr 16, 2009
- First phase of general elections 2009 (Factfile) - Apr 15, 2009
- Lok Sabha elections begin (Lead) - Apr 16, 2009
- Polling begins for UP election's fourth phase - Feb 19, 2012
- Clear winner in doubt as India set for general elections - Apr 15, 2009
- Campaigning ends for first phase of Elections 2009 - Apr 14, 2009
- Polling for 15th Lok Sabha elections begins - Apr 16, 2009
- Congress faces setback in Andhra, Trinamool wins UP bypoll (Roundup) - Jun 15, 2012
- Peaceful polling for Telangana's Banswada seat (Lead) - Oct 13, 2011
- Assembly by-polls in Telangana begins - Jul 27, 2010
- Elections at a glance - Dec 24, 2011
- Voting begins for final phase of Lok Sabha polls (Lead) - May 13, 2009
- Fourth phase of Bihar Assembly polls begins amid tight security - Nov 01, 2010
Tags: andaman and nicobar, andaman and nicobar island, bahujan samaj party, bharatiya janata party, chhattisgarh, commission officials, communist party of india, communist party of india marxist, electoral exercise, electronic voting machines, jammu and kashmir, lakshwadeep, Lok Sabha, meghalaya, nationalist congress party, samaj, split verdict, state assemblies, thurday, tight security