Indian election results watched in far away EthiopiaMay 16th, 2009 - 7:00 pm ICT by IANS
Addis Ababa, May 16 (IANS) Ethiopian MPs got a glimpse of the working of Indian democracy with the Indian embassy arranging for a live telecast of Indian TV channels that were carring non-stop the declaration of election results, the political reactions and the debates analysing the balloting.
Nearly 200 invitees attended the event at the embassy that had arranged for a large screen to show the proceedings.
Indian Ambassador Gurjit Singh said general elections in India are the largest popular democratic political process in the world. “We are very happy about the functioning of the election and very proud of the system to which the counting of all constituencies is conducted at one time,” Gurjit Singh told IANS.
Singh said the embassy invited both opposition and government parliamentarians to the event to get an idea of how the system works in India. “And that’s what we want to share with Ethiopia,” he added.
– Indo-Asian News Service
- As China-built AU centre opens, India focuses on quiet Africa diplomacy (With images) - Jan 30, 2012
- Ethiopia seeks India's financial muscle for its rail project - Jan 28, 2012
- Indians in Ethiopia celebrate I-day - Aug 15, 2010
- Ethiopians say 'salaam' to popular Indian envoy - Jul 05, 2009
- Indian investors eye Ethiopian agriculture - Aug 29, 2011
- India asks Africa to fight piracy, backs its democratic upsurge - May 26, 2011
- India-Ethiopia relations are model for cooperation: Official - Mar 24, 2011
- Ethiopia seeks more Indian teachers, agriculturists - May 23, 2011
- Australians warned not to travel to terror risk Ethiopia - Jan 26, 2011
- AU to work closely with India on summit in Africa - Mar 21, 2011
- 'Yeh hai meri India' - in Ethiopia - May 22, 2011
- No Indian land grab, says Ethiopian PM - May 25, 2011
- India, Ethiopia sign tax accord - May 27, 2011
- Ethiopian dance, food fiesta in Delhi (With Images) - Oct 20, 2011
- Trade fair in Addis Ababa showcasing India Inc. in Africa - May 23, 2011
Tags: asian news, constituencies, debates, dmb, elections in india, ethiopia addis ababa, general elections, glimpse, indian ambassador, indian democracy, indian election results, indian embassy, indian tv channels, indo, invitees, live telecast, mps, news service, parliamentarians, proceedings