Indian American is Obama campaign senior spokesmanJune 17th, 2008 - 10:42 am ICT by IANS
By Parveen Chopra
New York, June 16 (IANS) An Indian-American attorney, Hari Sevugan, has been functioning as Barack Obama presidential campaign’s senior spokesman. He has been taken on to augment the massive media operations of the campaign of the Democratic candidate. Sevugan is working directly under campaign communications director Robert Gibbs and has joined other press spokespeople out on the field and scores of mediapersons serving as state spokesmen, according to the campaign website.
Sevugan is perhaps the seniormost Indian American to serve as a spokesperson for a presidential candidate in recent years. Earlier, Nanda Chitre served as an assistant press secretary in the second Clinton administration when Joe Lockhart was the chief press secretary.
Sevugan comes to Obama campaign with considerable experience in communications and policy work with high profile political campaigns. He had served as the communications director for presidential candidate Senator Chris Dodd who backed out in January after failing in the Iowa Caucus and the New Hampshire primary.
In 2006, Sevugan was communications director for the successful gubernatorial campaign of Martin O’Malley in Maryland. A year before that he was policy director for Tim Kaine who made a successful bid for governor in Virginia.
A graduate of the University of Illiinos, Sevugan studied political science and finance. After earning a law degree from Nothwestern School of Law, he practiced securities law in Chicago for two years. Drawn to public service, he quit his law practice to become deputy policy director for Dan Hynes’ Senate campaign in Illinois in late 2003.
- Mel Gibson's ex hires domestic violence lawyer - Sep 29, 2010
- Building the next generation of South Asian American leaders - Feb 05, 2012
- Former Governor Of Maryland Bob Ehrlich Wins GOP Primary - Sep 15, 2010
- Longtime aide to U.S. Vice President Joe Biden resigns - May 24, 2011
- Indian American named to top job in Maryland - Aug 04, 2011
- 'Facebook in talks to hire former White House Press Secretary Robert Gibbs' - Mar 28, 2011
- Maryland governor in US celebrates Vaisakhi - Apr 28, 2012
- Maryland governor invites Indian investments - Nov 28, 2011
- Female staff in Obama White House felt edged out: New book - Sep 20, 2011
- 'Iron Man' type robotic exoskeleton to aid recovery in spinal injury patients - Apr 19, 2011
- The image of Enrique Pena Nieto, Mexican presidency front-runner, used to promote adultery - Jun 07, 2012
- Obama's former Indian-American aide to join politics - Jul 19, 2012
- Republicans capture control of House of Representatives, but not the Senate - Nov 03, 2010
- Governor Pat Quinn Leads Illinois Primary Election Results - Feb 03, 2010
- Buying Kardashians' debit cards 'a bad financial choice' - Nov 27, 2010
Tags: american attorney, campaign communications, campaign website, chief press, chitre, chris dodd, dan hynes senate, gubernatorial campaign, iowa caucus, joe lockhart, martin o malley, massive media, media operations, parveen, policy director, political campaigns, robert gibbs, senate campaign, senator chris dodd, tim kaine