India to protect fishermen from Lankan naval attacksJanuary 31st, 2010 - 10:08 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, Jan 31 (IANS) India will take necessary steps to protect fishermen from the attacks of Sri Lankan Navy and will ask the island government to look at a political resolution of the problems of Tamils living there, said new National Security Advisor Shivshankar Menon.
Speaking to reporters here Sunday after meeting Chief Minister M. Karunanidhi at the state secretariat, Menon said the Indian government is in continuous dialogue with the Sri Lankan government for early resettlement and rehabilitation of the Tamils.
Asked about his meeting with Karunanidhi, he said the chief minsiter had expressed concern at the increasing attack on the fishermen by the Sri Lankan Navy and the resettlement of the Tamils in Sri Lanka.
Menon assured Karunanidhi that the Indian government would take all steps within its purview.
Meanwhile, fishermen in Rameswaram have complained about revival of attacks on them by the Sri Lankan Navy.
According to them, the Sri Lankan Navy attack them on the high seas and damage their fishing nets while taking away their catch.
- Move to stop attacks on fishermen: Jayalalithaa, Karunanidhi - Aug 20, 2012
- 23 Indian fishermen to be released by Sri Lanka - Jun 24, 2011
- Prime Minister asked to take up fishermen arrest issue with Sri Lanka - Jul 23, 2012
- NSA Menon meets Karunanidhi, discusses Sri Lankan Tamil issue - Jan 31, 2010
- Menon, Rao heading to Colombo for weekend talks - Jun 09, 2011
- Take up fishermen harassment issue with Sri Lankan government: Jayalalithaa - Jun 28, 2012
- Attacks on fishermen should be seen as provocation: Jayalalithaa - Oct 09, 2011
- India to take up fishermen killings with Colombo - Jan 23, 2011
- Exercise restraint against Indian fishermen, Sri Lanka urged - May 16, 2011
- India to take up fishermen's killings with Colombo (Lead) - Jan 23, 2011
- Karunanidhi asks Colombo to respect bilateral accord on fishermen - Feb 01, 2011
- Do not train Sri Lankans: Jayalalithaa, Karunanidhi (Lead) - Jul 16, 2012
- Fisherman killing: Jayalalithaa takes on Centre, demands PM's resignation - Jan 26, 2011
- India should assert with Sri Lanka: Jayalalithaa - Nov 16, 2011
- Take strong stand against Sri Lanka: Jayalalithaa urges PM - Nov 07, 2011
Tags: chief minister, continuous dialogue, fishermen, fishing nets, high seas, indian government, island government, karunanidhi, national security advisor, necessary steps, new national security advisor, political resolution, purview, rameswaram, resettlement, revival, secretariat, sri lankan government, sri lankan navy, state secretariat