India to pay homage at Ethiopian leader’s funeralAugust 28th, 2012 - 7:55 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 28 (IANS) Minister of State for External Affairs Preneet Kaur will represent India at the Sep 2 state funeral of Ethiopia’s long-time leader Meles Zenawi.
Kaur will be accompanied by senior officials of the external affairs ministry, including Ravi Bangar, joint secretary in charge of east and south Africa, said government sources.
Zenawi’s over two-decade-long prime ministerial tenure saw the blossoming of bilateral relations between India and Ethiopia. He died Aug 20 due to illness at age 57.
His funeral will be attended by a host of African and world leaders.
Zenawi is widely credited for transforming Ethiopia, which was known for famine and disease, into one of Africa’s fastest growing economies. He also carved a niche for himself as the voice of Africa and is known for his peace initiatives.
India is the second-largest foreign investor in Ethiopia with investments of about $5 billion.
Amid accusations by some critics of land grabbing by Indian companies in Ethiopia, Zenawi had famously said that “Indians do not come to colonise, but to help develop Africa”.
In a condolence message, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh lauded Zenawi’s “long and distinguished public service and his contribution towards consolidation of peace, progress and development of Ethiopia and effectively strengthening Africa’s global engagements”.
“India’s close and friendly relations with Ethiopia acquired greater substance under his leadership,” he said.
- Orderly transition in Ethiopia, business ties with India to grow : Envoy (Interview) - Aug 30, 2012
- Ethiopia seeks more Indian teachers, agriculturists - May 23, 2011
- No Indian land grab, says Ethiopian PM - May 25, 2011
- India-Ethiopia relations are model for cooperation: Official - Mar 24, 2011
- Manmohan Singh seeks better trade ties with Ethiopia - Nov 11, 2010
- Obama condoles Ethiopian PM's death - Aug 22, 2012
- India, Ethiopia sign tax accord - May 27, 2011
- As China-built AU centre opens, India focuses on quiet Africa diplomacy (With images) - Jan 30, 2012
- Ethiopian PM hails ties with India - May 22, 2011
- AU to work closely with India on summit in Africa - Mar 21, 2011
- Ethiopian PM misses AU summit, health rumours float - Jul 17, 2012
- India-China rivalry in Africa not zero sum game: Ethiopian PM - Apr 01, 2011
- India asks Africa to fight piracy, backs its democratic upsurge - May 26, 2011
- Trade, development on agenda of PM's visit to Ethiopia, Tanzania - May 17, 2011
- Burundi president to meet PM Tuesday - Sep 17, 2012
Tags: accusations, bilateral relations, condolence message, distinguished public service, external affairs ministry, famine, government sources, homage, manmohan, manmohan singh, meles zenawi, minister of state, peace initiatives, peace progress, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, senior officials, state funeral, time leader, voice of africa