India rules out resumption of talks with PakistanJune 5th, 2009 - 3:25 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 5 (IANS) India Friday ruled out resumption of talks with Pakistan until it took tangible measures to prevent terrorism directed against this country.
“Not unless they (Pakistan) take concrete measures to prevent terrorist attacks emanating from the soil of Pakistan aimed against India (can talks resume),” External Affairs Minister S. M. Krishna told reporters outside Parliament House when asked whether there was any move to resume the dialogue with Islamabad.
His statement puts at rest speculation that the government was contemplating the resumption of talks with Pakistan in the near future.
Krishna also said that the release of Jamaat-ud Dawa (JuD) chief Hafiz Saeed by a court in Lahore only showed that Pakistan was not serious about acting against terror. India says Saeed was the mastermind behind the 26/11 Mumbai attacks that claimed over 170 lives, including those of 26 foreigners.
President Pratibha Patil, while addressing the joint session of parliament Thursday, said the reshaping of relations with Pakistan would depend on its “sincerity” in preventing terrorist groups from launching attacks against India.
“My government will seek to reshape our relationship with Pakistan depending on the sincerity of Pakistan to confront groups who launch terrorist attacks against India from its territory,” Patil had said.
The India-Pakistan peace process has been frozen in the wake of the 26/11 Mumbai carnage that New Delhi blames on elements operating from across the border.
- Ahead of Zardari visit, India ups pressure over Hafiz Saeed (Roundup) - Apr 03, 2012
- Delay in sub-continental talks will help terrorists: Pakistani PM - Sep 05, 2009
- India presses Pakistan for speedy 26/11 justice, says enough evidence - Nov 26, 2011
- Hafiz Saeed a free man, appeals against fresh cases: Lawyer (Lead) - Sep 24, 2009
- Terrorists will benefit from Pakistan-India impasse: Gilani - Jun 05, 2009
- Hafiz Saeed a free man, appeals fresh cases: Lawyer - Sep 24, 2009
- Hafiz Saeed challenges India to prove his involvement in 26/11 - Apr 25, 2011
- Hafiz supporters rant against India - Apr 07, 2012
- Headley, Rana were in direct touch with ISI handlers (Lead) - May 24, 2011
- Pakistan asked to act against elements linked to 26/11: Krishna - Aug 03, 2011
- 26/11: India still awaits Pakistan's decisive action (Roundup) - Nov 26, 2011
- Manmohan-Zardari meeting: India to press for action against Saeed - Apr 03, 2012
- Saeed wants Pakistan, India talks over water issue - Jul 31, 2012
- 26/11 justice: India hails US $10 mn bounty for Hafiz Saeed (Lead) - Apr 03, 2012
- JuD chief Saeed advocates war, if India doesn't talk - Feb 28, 2010
Tags: carnage, concrete measures, external affairs minister, foreigners, hafiz, india pakistan, india rules, joint session, krishna, lahore, mastermind, New Delhi, parliament house, peace process, president pratibha patil, resumption, saeed, sincerity, terrorist attacks, terrorist groups