India, Pakistan must work to promote peace: ZardariJuly 25th, 2012 - 11:10 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 25 (IANS) Congratulating his Indian counterpart Pranab Mukherjee on his assuming the office, Pakistan President Asif Ali Zardari Wednesday underlined Islamabad’s desire to forge cooperative relations with India to promote peace and stability in the region.
“On behalf of the people of Pakistan and my own behalf, I wish to convey to you our heartfelt felicitations on your assumption of the office of the President of the Republic of India,” Zardari said in a message to Mukherjee who was sworn in as the 13th president of India Wednesday.
In his message, he assured Mukherjee of “the sincere desire of the government and the people of Pakistan to work towards forging good neighbourly, friendly and cooperative relations with India, securely founded on the principles of the charter of the United Nations.”
“It is imperative that our two countries endeavour to promote stability, peace and prosperity in our region and seek peaceful resolution of all issues through dialogue,” he said.
Zardari’s comments set a positive tone for the meeting between the foreign ministers of India and Pakistan in Islamabad next month.
Mukherjee was India’s external affairs minister when the 26/11 Mumbai terror attacks took place, plunging India-Pakistan ties to a new low.
- Mukherjee greets Zardari on Pakistan's Independence Day - Aug 14, 2012
- Gilani greets Manmohan Singh on Independence Day - Aug 15, 2011
- Zardari congratulates Pranab - Jul 23, 2012
- Zardari wants early finalisation of engagement plan with EU - Aug 02, 2011
- China hails warming India-Pakistan ties - Apr 09, 2012
- SAARC's success depends on India, Pakistan: National Conference - Aug 26, 2012
- Pakistan to work with neighbours for peace: Zardari - Nov 02, 2011
- Avoid public criticism of Pakistan, Zardari urges US - Nov 08, 2011
- PM congratulates new Pakistan PM, confident of better ties - Jun 24, 2012
- Pakistan seeks full membership of Shanghai group - Jun 13, 2011
- Stability, development in South Asia important for global interests: Pak - Feb 21, 2011
- Pakistan wants strong economic ties with Sri Lanka - Nov 30, 2011
- Pak seeking full membership status in SCO "as soon as possible" - Nov 26, 2010
- China's achievement an inspiration for Pakistan: Zardari - Jul 02, 2011
- Pakistan, Japan reaffirm resolve to strengthen efforts against terrorism - Feb 23, 2011
Tags: 13th president, asif ali zardari, charter of the united nations, cooperative relations, external affairs minister, felicitations, foreign ministers, india and pakistan, india pakistan, indian counterpart, islamabad, ministers of india, office of the president, peace and stability, peaceful resolution, positive tone, pranab mukherjee, president of india, republic of india, terror attacks