India has repeatedly reposed faith in democracy: PMMay 13th, 2012 - 1:03 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 13 (IANS) India’s unflinching commitment to democracy is the reason behind India’s growing global stature, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh said Sunday during a special sitting to mark 60 years of parliament.
“One of the reasons for our growing global stature in the world is our unflinching commitment to pursuing the democratic path to achieving social and economic salvation,” the prime minister said addressing the Rajya Sabha.
“India have repeatedly reposed their faith in the democracy. In recent years, they are making their voice heard more forcefully by voting in higher numbers in parliamentary, state assembly and panchayat elections,” he said.
Saying the upper house has justified the two house system, the prime minister also stressed on restoring the decorum that is “expected from the house of elders”.
“It is not to say that we should not reflect the concern and the regrettable unwillingness on occasions to engage in the discussions,” he said.
The parliament is having a special sitting Sunday to mark 60 years of the first sitting of the Lok Sabha.
- We are committed to democracy, say India's leaders (Lead) - May 13, 2012
- Firmly reject those mocking democratic institutions: PM (Lead) - May 13, 2012
- We're committed to democracy despite odds, say India's leaders (Afternoon Lead) - May 13, 2012
- Parliament turns 60, MPs urged to introspect (Roundup) - May 13, 2012
- India is a great and successful democracy: Advani - May 13, 2012
- Special session to mark 60 years of Indian Parliament - May 05, 2012
- Omar 'proud' to attend special session of Parliament Sunday - May 13, 2012
- People deserve credit for democracy's success: Meira Kumar - May 13, 2012
- We must have right to disagree in democracy: JD-U MP - May 13, 2012
- In six decades, a sea change in Indian parliament (Lead) (May 13 is 60th anniversary of parliament) - May 12, 2012
- Make 100 sittings mandatory for parliament: Yechury - May 13, 2012
- Social justice, terrorism major challenges: Arun Jaitley - May 13, 2012
- Parliament light pillar of democracy: Meira Kumar (Lead) - May 13, 2012
- Parliament resolves to uphold its supremacy - May 13, 2012
- 'Parliament fractious, state issues pervasive' (May 13 is 60th anniversary of Indian parliament) - May 12, 2012
Tags: decorum, democracy, democratic path, economic salvation, elders, global stature, Lok Sabha, manmohan, manmohan singh, New Delhi, occasions, panchayat elections, parliament, parliamentary state, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, rajya sabha, state assembly, unflinching commitment, upper house