India has got a very able president: SomnathJuly 22nd, 2012 - 7:29 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, July 22 (IANS) Terming president-elect Pranab Mukherjee as one of the best parliamentarians and statesmen of India, former Lok Sabha speaker Somnath Chatterjee Sunday said the country has got the most able man for the top job.
“I am very happy for Pranabbabu. He has been a great parliamentarian and statesman. I have known him for years as a fellow parliamentarian. India has got the most able person for the post of president,” said Chatterjee.
Pranab Mukherjee will be India’s 13th president, officials announced Sunday, as the former finance minister comfortably crossed the halfway mark with 558,000 votes to secure his journey to Rashtrapati Bhavan.
“I must say Pranabbabu becoming the next president is an extra gift for all the Bengalis. I had called him a few minutes back and have congratulated him for his victory. I wish him all the very best for his new job,” said Chatterjee.
The former Marxist leader had himself been a contender for the presidential post, after Trinamool Congress supremo Mamata Banerjee and Samajwadi Party chief Mulayam Singh Yadav announced his name as one of their three preferred nominees.
But later on the scenario changed, and Mulayam Singh backed Mukherjee after the United Progressive Alliance (UPA) formally declared him its candidate. Banerjee also made a u-turn, days before the July 19 poll and announced support for Mukherjee.
- Mamata telephones Pranab to congratulate him, to attend swearing-in - Jul 22, 2012
- Pranab Mukherjee is India's next president (Lead) - Jul 22, 2012
- PM, Sonia to visit Pranab residence to congratulate him - Jul 22, 2012
- Had no other option but support Pranab: SP - Jun 16, 2012
- Trinamool accuses Pranab of trying to break party (Lead) - Jun 20, 2012
- Kalam hails Mamata's leadership qualities, honesty - Jun 19, 2012
- Kalam should not contest presidential poll: Somnath - Jun 16, 2012
- Pranab Mukherjee is India's next president (Second Lead) - Jul 22, 2012
- Met Sonia over presidential poll: Mulayam - Jun 16, 2012
- Raisina Hill race: Trinamool may tap NDA for support - Jun 18, 2012
- Mamata logs on to Facebook to canvass for Kalam - Jun 16, 2012
- Pranab most suitable for president's post: Trinamool MP - Jun 20, 2012
- Sangma gets fewer votes in Meghalaya; none in Nagaland, Kerala - Jul 22, 2012
- Bengal Congress lashes out at Mamata for rejecting Pranab - Jun 14, 2012
- It felt like a general election: Pranab - Jul 22, 2012
Tags: 13th president, bengalis, finance minister, kolkata, Lok Sabha, mamata banerjee, marxist leader, mulayam singh yadav, parliamentarian, parliamentarians, party chief, pranab mukherjee, president elect, progressive alliance, Samajwadi Party, somnath chatterjee, statesmen, top job, trinamool congress, u turn