India asks Sri Lanka to devolve power to TamilsJune 14th, 2010 - 7:52 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, June 14 (IANS) India has asked Sri Lanka to devolve power to the Tamil minority in that country in a bid for reconciliation among various communities at the end of the decades-long civil war, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh told Tamil Nadu Chief Minister M. Karunanidhi.
In a letter written to Karunanidhi June 10 that was released to the media here Monday, Manmohan Singh said: “I have also urged upon Sri Lankan President Mahinda Rajapaksa the need for reconciliation among communities in Sri Lanka and for practical arrangements, including devolution of powers, to enable all minorities in Sri Lanka, and particularly the Tamil minority, to lead lives of dignity.”
Replying to Karunanidhi’s letter dated June 5, Manmohan Singh adds that the issue of internally displaced people in Sri Lanka was raised with Rajapaksa.
“He (Rajapaksa) has assured me that the 47,000 Tamils who are still in camps will be resettled by the end of this year.
The Sri Lankan president came on a three-day visit to India June 8.
“We announced a joint initiative to construct 50,000 houses for the internally displaced persons in the Northern and Eastern Provinces. The government of India is separately also working on projects and programmes for resettled families to be in a position to earn their own livelihood,” Manmohan Singh said.
- NSA to go to Colombo, voice India's concerns - Jun 25, 2012
- Manmohan, Rajapaksa discuss Tamil refugees, devolution (Second Lead) - Oct 15, 2010
- India, Sri Lanka to discuss Tamil settlement, sign pacts - Jun 08, 2010
- PM reminds Rajapaksa India's key role in Geneva - Mar 24, 2012
- Manmohan, Rajapaksa to meet in Maldives, Tamil issue on agenda - Nov 09, 2011
- India asks Sri Lanka to focus on devolution (Lead) - Oct 15, 2010
- Congress MPs to submit a report to PM about Sri Lanka visit - Apr 22, 2012
- Amid pressure, PM says India inclined to vote against Sri Lanka (Roundup) - Mar 19, 2012
- Rajapaksa has given firm commitment to empower Tamils: Krishna - Jan 20, 2012
- India inclined to vote against Sri Lanka: PM (Second Lead) - Mar 19, 2012
- Krishna heads to Sri Lanka, devolution tops agenda - Jan 15, 2012
- Rajapaksa, Manmohan to meet for talks - Sep 20, 2012
- Menon, Rao heading to Colombo for weekend talks - Jun 09, 2011
- Manmohan, Rajapaksa discuss Tamil situation, bilateral ties (Lead) - Sep 20, 2012
- Rajapaksa assures Krishna of power-devolution to Tamils - Jan 17, 2012
Tags: chief minister, civil war, decades, devolution of powers, dignity, eastern provinces, government of india, june 14, letter dated june, livelihood, mahinda rajapaksa, manmohan, manmohan singh, minorities, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, reconciliation, sri lanka, sri lankan president, tamil minority