In poll time, politicians make beeline to Golden TempleApril 5th, 2009 - 1:54 pm ICT by IANS
Amritsar, April 5 (IANS) As the poll temperature rises over Punjab, politicians of all hues are seeking benediction at the Golden Temple before embarking on their campaign.
Right from the country’s first Sikh Prime Minister Manmohan Singh to Punjab’s Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal and many more, politicians are lining up to seek blessings at the Harmandar Sahib, the holiest of Sikh shrines.
But the more high profile visit was that of his son Sukhbir Badal, who is the ruling Akali Dal president and Punjab’s deputy chief minister, and his wife Harsimrat Badal.
Harsimrat has been named the Akali Dal candidate for the Bathinda Lok Sabha seat in the biggest showdown of two leading political clans in Punjab.
She faces Raninder Singh, son of former Congress Chief Minister Amarinder Singh and the 13th descendant of the erstwhile royal family of Patiala.
Raninder too arrived here to pray at the shrine this week before embarking on a full-fledged campaign for the Bathinda seat.
“Top political leaders do come here to seek blessings, especially before a crucial election,” Kanwarpal Singh, leader of radical Sikh group Dal Khalsa, told IANS.
Among other high-profile visits in recent months was that of Rahul Gandhi. He arrived here virtually unannounced early one morning last September and sat listening to hymns inside the sanctum sanctorum for some time. Even security officials and local Congress leaders had no inkling of his visit.
- Day after win, Badals pray at Golden Temple - Mar 07, 2012
- President offers prayers at Golden Temple - Oct 06, 2010
- Record voting in Punjab, nearly 77 cast franchise (Intro Roundup) - Jan 31, 2012
- Punjab cabinet prays at Amritsar shrines - Mar 16, 2012
- Over 77 percent voting in Punjab, one killed in violence (Roundup) - Jan 30, 2012
- Punjab at crossroads: Sikh clergy gives in to radical rhetoric (Punjab Newsletter) - Jun 08, 2012
- 65 per cent voting in Punjab (Evening Lead) - Jan 30, 2012
- Akalis field Olympian Pargat Singh, Sukhbir Badal files nomination - Jan 09, 2012
- Relatives find enough place in Badal cabinet - Mar 13, 2012
- I will visit Golden Temple next time: Obama - Nov 08, 2010
- Advani's yatra disrupted, shown black flags in Punjab - Nov 13, 2011
- Gurdwara shooting: US officials join prayers at Golden Temple - Aug 10, 2012
- Nearly 40 percent vote in Punjab polls (Afternoon Lead) - Jan 30, 2012
- Dal Khalsa releases Operation Bluestar directory - Jun 05, 2012
- Akalis, BJP build on new, secular identity (Punjab Newsletter) - Apr 14, 2012
Tags: amarinder singh, bathinda, congress chief, congress leaders, dal khalsa, deputy chief minister, golden temple amritsar, Lok Sabha, manmohan, manmohan singh, parkash singh badal, poll time, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, profile visit, rahul gandhi, sanctum sanctorum, sikh shrines, sukhbir badal, time politicians