Impact of cyclone Aila: Pranab says no to felicitationMay 29th, 2009 - 12:15 am ICT by IANS
Kolkata, May 28 (IANS) Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee Thursday refused to accept felicitation from Congress workers in view of the devastation triggered by cyclone Aila in large parts of West Bengal early this week.
“This is not the time to accept any felicitation as many people are badly affected by the cyclone Aila in a number of West Bengal districts. I shall come to you later to accept your felicitation once the situation improves,” Mukherjee told Congress workers after coming out of the Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose International (NSCBI) airport here.
This is Mukherjee’s maiden visit to the state after taking over as the finance minister in Prime Minister Manmohan Singh’s new government. He is scheduled to attend a programme in his Jangipur constituency in Murshidabad district Friday.
Mukherjee would head for Jangipur Friday morning and from there he would fly to the capital.
“I would request you not to gather at the airport premises as it’s a restricted place,” the minister told his supporters who came to receive their leader.
- President Mukherjee begins four-day trip to Bengal - Sep 14, 2012
- Forward Bloc demands special observance of Netaji's birth anniversary - Nov 19, 2011
- Pranab visits Mamata's mother in hospital - Dec 03, 2011
- President Patil to visit Visva Bharati Tuesday - Nov 28, 2011
- Poor visibility disrupts flights at Kolkata airport - Mar 02, 2010
- 'Left lost, but movement unbeaten in Bengal' - Nov 14, 2011
- Communists have no moral right to honour Netaji: Mamata - Jan 23, 2012
- Manmohan Singh visits Jyoti Basu in hospital - Jan 07, 2010
- 'Pranab's son wants to fill father's Lok Sabha seat' - Jul 24, 2012
- Kolkata Metro station to be named after Mother Teresa - Jan 15, 2011
- Netaji's birth anniversary celebrated across West Bengal - Jan 23, 2011
- Mamata wishes Netaji a long life - Jan 23, 2012
- Amend booklet mentioning Netaji's death: Forward Bloc - Oct 16, 2011
- Presidency varsity mentor group meets Mamata (Lead) - Jul 23, 2011
- Nation must accept Netaji's death: Biographer (Interview) - Jul 24, 2011
Tags: aila, congress workers, constituency, cyclone, devastation, finance minister, fly, friday morning, maiden visit, manmohan, manmohan singh, murshidabad district, netaji subhas chandra bose, pranab mukherjee, premises, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, west bengal