I’m not weak or impotent: Udhav ThackerayOctober 10th, 2008 - 12:16 am ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Oct 9 (IANS) Shiv Sena executive president Udhav Thackeray Thursday attempted to silence his critics who consider him ineffective, saying he was “neither weak nor impotent”.“I am neither weak nor impotent. My father (Bal Thackeray) has given birth to a tiger cub, not a cat,” he declared at his maiden Dussehra rally here, displaying a hitherto invisible steely side of his otherwise low-profile personality.
The word “impotent” (”nampusak” in Marathi) has been an old favourite of his father, Shiv Sena chief Bal Thackeray, which he frequently used to describe rival politicians mainly from the Congress, and rival political parties usually the Congress, in most of his public speeches and annual Dussehra rallies.
The Shiv Sena executive president also took on his detractors and opponents for expressing doubts over his leadership capabilities, mainly on account of his quiet nature, and some others who accused him of not being sufficiently knowledgeable about burning issues confronting the state.
Reacting to these, Uddhav Thackeray said: “I may not know farming, but I know the feelings of the poor farmers and why they are being forced to commit suicide. I am also aware of the problems of malnutrition and other sufferings of the common masses.”
Thackeray’s elevation as the Shiv Sena’s executive president had led to an acrimonious parting of ways with his cousin Raj Thackeray, who till then had been considered Bal Thackeray’s heir apparent.
Raj Thackeray subsequently walked out of the party to float his rival Maharashtra Navnirman Samiti (MNS) that has been conducting a violent campaign against non-Maharashtrians in the state and for replacing signboards in English and other languages with those in Marathi.
- Uddhav joins Thackeray clan hot excahnge of words - Oct 27, 2010
- Shiv Sena indestructible, says Bal Thackeray - Feb 14, 2012
- Dismissed Belgaum council members seek Thackeray's support - Jul 08, 2012
- Bal Thackeray, Uddhav thunder at Dussehra rally - Oct 18, 2010
- Raj Thackeray warns of riots over anti-Marathi remarks - Nov 03, 2011
- Thackeray's birthday gift - two rallies - Jan 12, 2012
- Raj Thackeray promises post-Diwali 'fireworks' for Nirupam - Oct 29, 2011
- Bal Thackeray anoints grandson Aditya into politics (Lead) - Oct 17, 2010
- Shiv Sena enters 46th year, welcomes RPI into alliance - Jun 20, 2011
- Elections will see communal parties losing relevance: Chavan - Feb 16, 2012
- Mumbai Congress MP Nirupam stirs hornet's nest - Oct 24, 2011
- Thackerays seek urgent end to Maharashtra-Karnataka boundary row - Dec 19, 2011
- Bal Thackeray attacks Hazare again - Oct 07, 2011
- Uddhav Thackeray in hospital for angioplasty - Jul 20, 2012
- BJP, Shiv Sena meet to sort out differences - Mar 13, 2011