I’ll welcome Rahul’s entry into government: PM (Second Lead)August 11th, 2012 - 4:47 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 11 (IANS) Prime Minister Manmohan Singh Saturday said he would welcome Congress general secretary Rahul Gandhi into the United Progressive Alliance (UPA) government.
“I have always said that I will welcome Rahul’s entry (in the government),” Manmohan Singh told reporters after Vice President Hamid Ansari’s oath-taking ceremony at Rashtrapati Bhawan.
The prime minister’s remark once again brought into focus Gandhi’s recent statement that he was ready for a more proactive role both in the party and the government.
Sources said a clarification to this effect could come in September when a reshuffle in the party and the cabinet was expected after the ongoing monsoon session of parliament ended.
Earlier too, the prime minister had welcomed Gandhi to join his cabinet but the young Congress leader had been reticent, indicating that rejuvenating the party was his priority.
Before the parliament’s session started Aug 8, as many as 10 Congress MPs had written to party president Sonia Gandhi to make Rahul the leader of Lok Sabha.
But the slot went to Gandhi family loyalist Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde, given his seniority and administrative experience.
But Congress general secretary Digvijaya Singh, considered to be close to Rahul, has said he would prefer the young leader to assume a bigger role in the party.
The debate on Rahul’s bigger role was triggered after Law Minister Salman Khurshid said the party had seen only cameo roles from him and that he should guide a “directionless” party ahead of the 2014 general elections.
- I'll welcome Rahul's entry into government, says PM (Third Lead) - Aug 11, 2012
- Hope Rahul takes greater role in government: PM (Lead) - Aug 31, 2012
- I'll welcome Rahul Gandhi to UPA government: Manmohan Singh (Lead) - Aug 11, 2012
- Chidambaram gets finance again, Shinde becomes home minister (Lead) - Jul 31, 2012
- I'll welcome Rahul Gandhi to UPA government: Manmohan Singh - Aug 11, 2012
- Rahul gets 'proactive', will be Congress no. 2 (Second Lead) - Jul 19, 2012
- Khurshid's comments on Rahul are fodder for BJP, Left (Intro Roundup) - Jul 10, 2012
- Rahul ready for 'pro-active' role, to be No 2 in party (Evening Lead) - Jul 19, 2012
- Rahul says he's ready for 'more proactive role' (Lead) - Jul 19, 2012
- Sonia says only Rahul to decide on his larger role (Lead) - Jul 18, 2012
- Rahul ready for bigger role, to be No 2 in party (Night Lead) - Jul 19, 2012
- Party or government for Rahul? Both, say Congress members - Aug 03, 2012
- Mayawati, Mulayam attend Sonia's lunch - Aug 06, 2012
- Clamour grows for larger role in Congress for Rahul (Lead) - Jul 17, 2012
- Rahul could play a role both in party and government, says Congress - Jul 21, 2012
Tags: administrative experience, cameo roles, congress leader, congress mps, general elections, home minister, khurshid, law minister, Lok Sabha, manmohan singh, monsoon session, party president, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, proactive role, progressive alliance, rahul gandhi, rashtrapati bhawan, sonia gandhi, young leader