IIT, IIM alumni to contest 40 seatsMarch 7th, 2009 - 4:12 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, March 7 (IANS) The Bharatiya Punarnirman Dal (BPD) - a political outfit floated by Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) and Indian Institute of Management (IIM) alumni - will contest the Lok Sabha election from at least 40 seats across the country, a party leader said Saturday.
“We are all geared to contesting the election. Till now, we have only announced eight candidates,” BPD national working committee member Omendra Bharat told IANS over telephone from Kanpur.
Candidates have been named for four seats in Uttar Pradesh, two in Delhi and one each in Andhra Pradesh and Orissa, said Bharat, a graduate from IIT-Kanpur.
Asked about the party’s poll plank, Bharat said: “Growing terrorism and issues like education and jobs will be high on our agenda.”
Formed in December 2006, BPD contested, without success, five seats in the Uttar Pradesh assembly elections in 2007. “We got 1.5-2 percent of the total votes,” said Bharat.
- IIT-Kanpur alumni heading city's administration, police - Mar 23, 2012
- IIT alumni's party wants to be agent of change - Nov 19, 2008
- IIT Delhi also revolts, to conduct own exam (Lead) - Jun 21, 2012
- IIT-Kanpur barred from taking foreign donations - Sep 03, 2012
- IIT Kanpur revolts, to hold separate entrance exam - Jun 08, 2012
- IITs agree to a compromise, but retain hold on test (Lead) - Jun 27, 2012
- War of words over Jairam Ramesh slamming IITs, IIMs (Lead) - May 24, 2011
- Is even one of our institutions world class, asks Sibal - May 24, 2011
- Manmohan Singh to address IIT Kanpur's annual convocation - Jul 03, 2010
- Professional, educated and aspiring to be politician - May 05, 2009
- Eight IIM-B graduates awarded gold medals - Mar 30, 2012
- IITs agree to a compromise, but retain hold on test (Second Lead, correcting spelling) - Jun 28, 2012
- Now, IIT-Kanpur seeks PM's intervention on common test - Jun 11, 2012
- Ex-IITian nabbed for friend's murder - Jan 26, 2012
- Hyderabad boy tops IIT-JEE (Lead) - May 25, 2011
Tags: andhra pradesh, assembly elections, bharat, committee member, contest 40, education, indian institute of management, indian institute of technology, institute of management, institute of technology, jobs, lok sabha election, national working committee, orissa, party leader, political outfit, s poll, terrorism, uttar pradesh