If killer had accomplice, will be punished: US envoyAugust 10th, 2012 - 7:17 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 10 (IANS) US Ambassador Nancy Powell has said that if the gunman who killed six people at a gurdwara at Winconsin had an accomplice, he or she will be punished.
“Though news suggests this was the act of one individual, if anyone else is involved, they will be brought to justice and charged under appropriate laws,” Powell said in a letter to BJP leader Vijay Jolly here.
The envoy pointed out Thursday that she had visited the Bangla Sahib Gurdwara here Monday to convey to the Sikh community her “profound sadness and disappointment about this terrible event”.
“The president, secretary of state and I have all conveyed to the Sikh community and Indian government that the US abhors acts of religious violence,” she said.
Powell’s letter follows one from Jolly in which he pointed out that the murder of six Sikhs by a white gunman at the gurdwara Aug 5 “is unpardonable and terrorism against humanity”.
Jolly asked the US administration to provide medical facilities to the injured and compensation to the families of the dead.
- Pay compensation to dead Sikhs, BJP tells US - Aug 07, 2012
- US envoy offers condolences (Third Lead, correcting para four) - Aug 06, 2012
- Gurdwara shooting: US envoy offers condolences (Second Lead) - Aug 06, 2012
- Gurdwara shooting: US envoy offers condolences (Lead) - Aug 06, 2012
- Assure Indians of safety: Krishna to US (Lead) - Aug 07, 2012
- Gurdwara shooting: US officials join prayers at Golden Temple - Aug 10, 2012
- Ex-US soldier kills six in gurdwara, India outraged (Roundup) - Aug 06, 2012
- Michelle Obama to meet gurdwara shooting victims' families (Lead) - Aug 19, 2012
- Michelle Obama to meet families of gurdwara shooting victims - Aug 19, 2012
- India reaches out to families hit by US gurdwara shooting - Aug 07, 2012
- Australian Sikhs celebrate Baisakhi in Sydney - Apr 17, 2011
- India in touch with US government over shooting - Aug 06, 2012
- US senators call for Sikh hate crime tracking - Aug 24, 2012
- Obama orders US flag at half mast after gurdwara killing - Aug 07, 2012
- Assure Indian community of its safety, Krishna tells Clinton - Aug 07, 2012
Tags: accomplice, acts, ambassador, bangla sahib, disappointment, gunman, gurdwara, indian government, medical facilities, nancy powell, New Delhi, profound sadness, religious violence, secretary of state, sikh community, sikhs, terrorism