Identity cards for all 760 mn voters by 2011: Poll panelMay 11th, 2010 - 7:36 pm ICT by IANS
Bangalore, May 11 (IANS) Over 580 million of around 760 million eligible voters in India have been given identity cards and the process is likely to be completed by December 2011, Chief Election Commissioner Navin Chawla said here Tuesday.
“The process of issuing voter identity cards to 76 crore (760 million) voters is expected to be completed by December 2011. Around 58 crore (580 million) have already been issued voter identity cards,” Chawla told reporters here.
He regretted that urban voters were not forthcoming to either register their names or check if they are in the voters’ list. But they come with complaints on the day of polling, he noted, after inaugurating a photo exhibition to mark the Commission’s diamond jubilee celebrations.
Chawla said political parties would be asked to help to ensure that all eligible voters have identity cards at the booth level.
He also inaugurated a meeting of chief electoral officers of south India. Election Commissioners S.Y. Quraishi and V.S. Sampath were also present.
- Meeting on Tamil Nadu assembly elections Tuesday - Jul 03, 2010
- Election commissioner rules out early poll in Assam - Jun 02, 2010
- Involve youth in election process: Quraishi - Aug 31, 2010
- Voting process for soldiers to be simplified - Jul 01, 2010
- Special functions to enrol new voters: Poll panel - Jan 12, 2011
- Sampath assumes office as new Chief Election Commissioner - Jun 11, 2012
- Country-wide programmes to mark National Voters' Day - Jan 24, 2011
- Giving voting rights to NRIs not easy, says Chawla - Apr 19, 2010
- Election Commission holds bilateral meetings with several countries - Jan 29, 2010
- Poll panel to use social media to attract young voters - Nov 25, 2011
- Election Commission is winner in Punjab polls (Punjab Newsletter) - Feb 04, 2012
- Prez poll schedule to be announced soon: Sampath (Second Lead) - Jun 11, 2012
- Indian EVMs attracting foreign poll panels - Jan 29, 2010
- Poll panel orders watch on former Punjab cop's activities - Nov 13, 2011
- Poll panel keeping tabs on Himachal government actions - Jul 12, 2012
Tags: chief election commissioner, diamond jubilee, election commissioners, electoral officers, eligible voters, india election, jubilee celebrations, navin chawla, photo exhibition, political parties, poll, quraishi, s sampath, south india, urban voters, voter identity cards, voters list