I will get more votes this time: PranabJuly 20th, 2012 - 12:05 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 19 (IANS) UPA candidate Pranab Mukherjee was more than confident of getting more votes than expected in the presidential polls just after the voting ended Thursday, even stating he would get “many more” votes this time.
“Earlier, I used to get two votes - one was my vote and another my wife’s vote. But here I hope to get many more votes,” a smiling Mukherjee said here. He had, as Lok Sabha member, cast his ballot in the presidential election in Parliament House earlier in the day.
Earlier, Minister of State in the Prime Minister’s Office V. Narayanasamy said that Mukherjee will win by more than two-thirds majority. “He will get a minimum 7,20,000 votes,” he said.
United Progressive Alliance leaders and Mukherjee’s poll managers are confident that their candidate will get more votes than expected, with some opposition MPs and legislators cross-voting.
In fact, a Bharatiya Janata Party legislator from Gujarat, Kanubhai Valabhai Kalsaria, had reportedly voted for Mukherjee against the party line. The BJP is supporting former Lok Sabha speaker P.A. Sangma.
–Indo-Asian News Service
- Cross-voting in Karnataka setback to Sangma - Jul 22, 2012
- Sangma seeks debate with Pranab (Lead) - Jun 22, 2012
- BJP congratulates Pranab, to probe Karnataka cross-voting - Jul 22, 2012
- Presidential poll: Congress deflates Chhattisgarh leader's tribal card - Jul 04, 2012
- Presidential polls: Fear of poaching haunts Chhattisgarh parties - Jul 10, 2012
- Expelled Jammu and Kashmir legislators to support Sangma - Jul 15, 2012
- Sangma expects 'miracle' in presidential election (Lead) - Jul 14, 2012
- Pranab will out-do Sangma in northeast: Congress - Jul 19, 2012
- Meghalaya CM urges coalition partners not to support Sangma - Jul 06, 2012
- Pranab responsible for economic mess, says Sangma - Jul 11, 2012
- Sangma confident of Mamata's support - Jun 22, 2012
- BJP stunned as Karnataka, Himachal, Jharkhand lawmakers cross-vote (Second Lead) - Jul 22, 2012
- BJP loses faces in Karnataka as Pranab gets more votes (Lead) - Jul 22, 2012
- Pranab will win, says Chidambaram; Sibal meets Mamata (Lead) - Jul 05, 2012
- Sangma seeks support in Bihar - Jul 14, 2012
Tags: alliance leaders, asian news, bharatiya janata party, bjp, gujarat, indo, legislator, legislators, lok sabha member, minister of state, ncb, opposition mps, parliament house, poll managers, pranab mukherjee, presidential election, presidential polls, progressive alliance, s poll, vd