I was mentally tortured in jail: Varun Gandhi (Lead)April 22nd, 2009 - 6:13 pm ICT by IANS
Pilibhit (Uttar Pradesh), April 22 (IANS) Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) candidate Varun Gandhi, who spent about 20 days in prison for his reported hate speeches, Wednesday said he wanted to end the divide between communities. He also alleged that police tortured him mentally during his stay in jail.
“I was kept with inmates suffering from TB in Pilibhit jail. I was also not provided a mat despite repeated requests. It was very kind of other inmates who collected their ‘kambals’ and prepared a nice cushion for me to sleep,” Varun told a rally after filing his nomination from here.
He also said he went to jail for the better future of the people of Pilibhit. “I have never killed a mosquito in my entire life, except during my stay in jail.
“I want to end all sorts of divide in all communities,” said Varun Gandhi, who is out on parole for two weeks after giving a pledge that he will not make any provocative statements that will disturb communal harmony.
“Mere pitaji ki tarah, meri baat bhi patthar ki lakeer hai. I cannot tolerate the humiliation of farmers, the poor, mothers, and I went to jail for your better future,” Varun told the crowd.
Speaking at the rally, his mother and Pilibhit MP Maneka Gandhi said people should not think she was leaving them. Maneka Gandhi has vacated her Pilibhit seat for her son. She is contesting from Aonla constituency.
“Main aapki padosan ban ke jaa rahi hoon, aur apna beta aapke hawaale kar rahi hoon. (I am becoming your neighbour and I am leaving my son in your care). You should remain in the same mood for the next 14 days so that your affection for us could affect the neighbouring constituencies also,” she said.
Maneka Gandhi claimed that Varun Gandhi had brought fame to Pilibhit.
“Over a crore people from across the world have visited Varun’s website and Varun has enlightened the name of Pilibhit,” she said. “I request you to extend the same kind of support to Varun in future also.”
- Varun files nomination, alleges mental torture in jail (Second Lead) - Apr 22, 2009
- Petition seeks Maneka's disqualification too - Jul 02, 2009
- Congress neck deep in corruption: Maneka Gandhi - Aug 25, 2011
- Sonia, Rahul to be invited for Varun's wedding: Maneka - Sep 27, 2010
- I won't forget my poll promises, Maneka tells Aonla - May 23, 2009
- Lalu poses threat to Varun's life, Maneka tells police - Apr 08, 2009
- Thanks to Varun, Pilibhit is a house divided - May 11, 2009
- I will continue promoting 'nationalism': Varun - Apr 28, 2009
- Maneka Gandhi loses (Lead) - May 16, 2009
- After BSP, Rahul Gandhi targets BJP - Dec 29, 2011
- Maneka Gandhi asked not to meet son Varun in jail - Apr 03, 2009
- 60 constituencies in final phase of UP polls - Mar 02, 2012
- Varun meets Sonia, invites her to wedding - Feb 16, 2011
- Maneka Gandhi wins in Aonla after re-counting - May 16, 2009
- Cases against Varun part of 'political conspiracy': Maneka Gandhi - Mar 29, 2009
Tags: apna, aur, ban ke, better future, communal harmony, constituencies, constituency, humiliation, inmates, jaa, kar, maneka gandhi, meri, mosquito, neighbour, poor mothers, provocative statements, rahi, uttar pradesh, varun gandhi