I was kept in dark about Babri demolition: Kalyan SinghMay 2nd, 2009 - 2:17 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, May 2 (IANS) Former Uttar Pradesh chief minister Kalyan Singh Saturday accused the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) of keeping him in the “dark” about the Babri Masjid demolition in 1992 and hatching a “conspiracy” against him.
“It was a conspiracy against me by the BJP leaders. It was a conspiracy to oust me. I was kept in the dark (about the demolition),” said the rebel BJP leader Kalyan Singh, who is contesting as an independent from Etah district.
Kalyan Singh said the BJP leaders assured him that nothing will happen. “Senior BJP leaders said no demolition will take place. I believed them,” he added - in an apparent attempt to woo the Muslim voters.
Raking up the caste factor, he said: “I was not acceptable to the BJP. I was targetted because I come from the backward classes.”
The 16th century Babri Masjid was razed by Hindu activists on Dec 6, 1992, when Kalyan Singh was the chief minister of Uttar Pradesh. It triggered large scale communal riots in northern India.
- Kalyan says he was in 'dark' about Babri mosque demolition (Lead) - May 02, 2009
- Kalyan Singh says BJP kept him in dark about Babri demolition - May 02, 2009
- Supreme Court issues notice to Advani and others in Babri Masjid demolition case - Mar 04, 2011
- Mosque demolition: CBI challenges Advani clean-chit (Lead) - Feb 18, 2011
- Factsheet: Timeline of the Ayodhya Dispute - May 09, 2011
- 19 years after Babri speech, legislator sent to jail (Lead) - May 26, 2011
- Mulayam's apology to Muslim community a political gimmick: Mayawati - Jul 15, 2010
- Mulayam Singh apologies to Muslim community - Jul 15, 2010
- Ayodhya verdict likely to head to Supreme Court: Advani - Sep 19, 2010
- RAW officer to depose in Babri case Friday - Mar 25, 2010
- Babri Masjid case: Apex court issues notices to Advani, Thackeray (Lead) - Mar 04, 2011
- Kalyan Singh dubs Liberhan report a 'political conspiracy' - Nov 24, 2009
- Kalyan calls Liberhan report 'politically motivated' (Lead) - Nov 24, 2009
- Vajpayee was also responsible for Babri demolition: Mulayam - Dec 07, 2009
- Mulayam apologises to Muslims for aligning with Kalyan - Jul 15, 2010
Tags: 16th century, apparent attempt, bharatiya janata party, bjp leaders, caste, chief minister, communal riots, conspiracy, demolition, etah district, hindu activists, kalyan singh, lucknow, muslim voters, northern india, rebel bjp leader