I never projected myself as PM candidate: ModiMay 18th, 2009 - 1:38 pm ICT by IANS
Ahmedabad, May 18 (IANS) Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi Monday said he had never projected himself as the Bharatiya Janata Party’s (BJP) future prime ministerial candidate.
“My stand has always been clear that I am from Gujarat and will keep working for the state,” Modi said. He was speaking to the media for the first time after the BJP’s poor show in the Lok Sabha elections.
Reacting to Janata Dal-United leader and National Democratic Alliance convenor Sharad Yadav’s comment that the projection of Modi as a candidate for the top job was a mistake, the Gujarat chief minister said “Modi as future prime ministerial candidate of the BJP was a media projection only”.
Modi, who was the star campaigner of the opposition NDA, said the people wanted the BJP to sit in the opposition and “we accept the verdict with humility”.
“In democracy people’s verdict is final. This time people have mandated us to sit in the opposition again and the Congress and the United Progressive Alliance (UPA) have been given the mandate to rule,” he said.
The BJP leader, however, refused to comment on L.K. Advani’s offer of stepping down from the post of the Leader of Opposition in the Lok Sabha.
“Parliamentary board (of the party) will decide. He (Advani) has proposed to resign taking moral responsibility, now the board will decide,” he added.
- Bihar leaders in war of words over PM candidate - Jun 19, 2012
- Adityanath sees a hung assembly in Uttar Pradesh - Feb 11, 2012
- BJP parliamentary board will decide on PM candidate - Sep 28, 2011
- Will Modi be BJP's prime ministerial candidate? - May 27, 2012
- Thackeray bats for Sushma Swaraj as PM, BJP says decision later (Second Lead) - Sep 10, 2012
- Decision on prime ministerial candidate at appropriate time: BJP - Sep 10, 2012
- Sharad Yadav rejects Advani's prediction on 2014 polls - Aug 06, 2012
- Modi needs to review style of working: RSS mouthpiece (Lead) - Jun 03, 2012
- Sushma to attend Modi fast on final day Monday - Sep 19, 2011
- Sharad Yadav better than Modi as PM: Govindacharya - Sep 11, 2012
- Bihar's ruling JD-U is against Modi for PM's post - Sep 18, 2011
- Advani sting: People upset with BJP too (Lead) - May 31, 2012
- RSS backs Narendra Modi as prime ministerial candidate - Jun 20, 2012
- Mamata welcome to join NDA: BJP - May 27, 2012
- NDA fails to decide on presidential poll (Lead) - Jun 17, 2012
Tags: ahmedabad, bharatiya janata party, bjp leader, campaigner, chief minister, convenor, gujarat, humility, l k advani, leader of opposition, lok sabha elections, mandate, moral responsibility, narendra modi, national democratic alliance, prime ministerial candidate, progressive alliance, sharad yadav, top job, UPA