I know what people want: governor elect Nikki HaleyNovember 4th, 2010 - 5:17 pm ICT by IANS
Washington, Nov 4 (IANS) Nikki Haley, who created history by becoming the first woman to win the governor’s race in South Carolina state and the first Indian American woman in the country to occupy the office, says “I know what the people of this state want”.
Haley told a media conference in Lexington that she may give details of her transition team Monday.
A new website, HaleyTransition.org, has also been launched where applicants can submit resumes if they want to work in the Haley administration.
“I know what the people of this state want,” The State quoted Haley as saying.
Bob McAlister, chief of staff for late former Governor Carroll Campbell, said: “She’s earned the right to do it however she wants…She’s going to have to start out the transition with people she trusts and branch out from there.”
Nikki Haley, the daughter of Sikh immigrant parents from Amritsar, was born Nimrata (Nikki) Randhawa.
She is America’s second Indian-American governor after Louisiana Governor Bobby Jindal, also a Republican, who became the first with his election three years ago.
The 38-year-old mother of two, who defeated Democrat Vincent Sheheen with a surprisingly close 51 percent-47 percent vote in the most expensive election in state history Tuesday, has already like Jindal been mentioned as a “long shot” presidential candidate for 2012.
Nikki and her husband Michael, a full time federal technician with the South Carolina National Guard and an officer in the Army National Guard, live in Lexington with their two children, Rena, 12, and Nalin, 8.
- Indian-American Nikki Haley set to become South Carolina governor - Jan 12, 2011
- Nikki Haley, daughter of Sikh parents, is South Carolina's first woman governor (Night Lead) - Nov 03, 2010
- Nikki Haley becomes first Indian-American woman governor (Lead) - Nov 03, 2010
- Indian-American Nikki Haley South Carolina's first woman governor (Second Lead) - Nov 03, 2010
- Indian-American Nikki Haley begins historic run as governor (Second Lead) - Jan 13, 2011
- Nikki Haley's Punjab relatives await her visit - Nov 08, 2010
- Indian-American Nikki Haley is South Carolina governor (Lead) - Jan 13, 2011
- South Carolina want to partner with India: Nikki Haley - Mar 02, 2012
- Indian origin gubernatorial candidate Haley says will resign if affairs are proved - Jun 05, 2010
- Indian American Nikki Haley will be South Carolina governor - Nov 03, 2010
- As America votes, Nikki Haley poised to win South Carolina - Nov 02, 2010
- Indian-Americans get prime spots at US presidential conventions - Aug 21, 2012
- Nikki Haley publishing her memoir - Jul 01, 2011
- Nikki slams Obama as Romney clinches nomination - Aug 29, 2012
- Nikki Haley on Newsweek cover - Jul 17, 2010
Tags: american governor, american woman, army national guard, bobby jindal, carroll campbell, federal technician, first woman, governor elect, haley, immigrant parents, louisiana governor, mcalister, nalin, old mother, presidential candidate, randhawa, rena, sheheen, state history, transition team