I have not been informed about all party meeting: MamataAugust 9th, 2008 - 1:01 am ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Aug 8 (IANS) Trinamool Congress chief Mamata Banerjee said she had not been informed about an all-party meeting called Saturday by West Bengal Chief Minister Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee over the fresh turmoil in Nandigram. “Neither me nor my party was officially informed about the all-party meeting,” Banerjee told a press conference here Friday.
On Thursday, Chief Minster Bhattacharjee called an all-party meeting in East Midnapore’s Tamluk town Saturday to look into the outbreak of violence in Nandigram.
Tension simmered in Nandigram, about 150 km from here, after a CPI-M supporter, Dulal Garu Das, was allegedly gunned down by the rival anti-land acquisition group Bhumi Uchched Pratirodh (BUPC) activists at Chadalpur area during a 24-hour shutdown called by the ruling CPI-M.
A CPI-M leader, Niranjan Mondal, was shot dead Wednesday (on Aug 6) at Rajaramchak area of Nandigram. The party blamed the Trinamool Congress-backed anti-land acquisition group BUPC for the killing.
At least 40 people were killed in Nandigram since January 2007 when the region erupted in protest over proposed land acquisition for a special economic zone (SEZ) in collaboration with Indonesia’s Salim group for developing a chemical hub.
Since then a turf battle between the CPI-M and the BUPC members had broken out repeatedly in the violence-hit region.
- Five years on, Nandigram feels forgotten and betrayed - Jan 03, 2012
- No paramilitary deployment in Nandigram - Aug 09, 2008
- CPI-M activist shot dead in Nandigram (Lead) - Aug 07, 2008
- Fourth round of Bengal polls: Spotlight on Singur, Nandigram - May 02, 2011
- Nandigram tense after CPI-M activists fire at rivals - Aug 08, 2008
- Land acquisition: Mamata gets dose of her own medicine - Jan 23, 2011
- Calm but uneasy Nandigram awaits Lok Sabha polls - Apr 14, 2009
- At least 10 injured in renewed Nandigram violence (Lead) - Aug 12, 2008
- Buddhadeb, Biman, Mamata at same function - at long last - May 20, 2011
- Tension grips Nandigram over CPI-M shutdown - Aug 07, 2008
- Mamata's swearing-in: Singur, Netai victims' kin invited - May 19, 2011
- CPI-M demands release of its jailed Bengal ex-MP - Jun 05, 2012
- West Bengal housing minister threatened me: Mamata - Nov 04, 2010
- Trinamool misled rural Bengal: Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee - Apr 30, 2011
- Bengal's 'red fort' faces challenge as voting begins Monday - Apr 17, 2011
Tags: acquisition group, bhattacharjee, bupc, chief minister, CPI, garu, kolkata, land acquisition, mamata banerjee, midnapore, minster, mondal, nandigram, niranjan, outbreak, salim group, special economic zone, trinamool congress chief, turf battle, west bengal