I am shocked, says Subhas on Somnath’s expulsionJuly 24th, 2008 - 11:52 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, July 24 (IANS) Senior Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) leader and West Bengal Sports Minister Subhas Chakraborty Thursday said he was shocked by the expulsion of Lok Sabha Speaker Somnath Chatterjee from the party. “I am shocked. What more can I say? What more do you want me to say?” Chakraborty told reporters.
The CPI-M Wednesday expelled Chatterjee for breach of discipline after he defied the party’s directive to give up the Speaker’s post ahead of Tuesday’s trust vote in parliament, which the United Progressive Alliance (UPA) government won.
Chakraborty last week shot off a letter to party general secretary Prakash Karat opposing the party’s stand to vote against the UPA government alongside of the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) on the trust motion.
Chatterjee is also understood to have expressed similar feelings in a separate letter to Karat.
Chakraborty, a member of the state secretariat, was censured by the party central committee Sunday for airing his views through the media, though he later apologised for his public comments.
- Anybody supporting us is welcome to campaign: Karat (Lead) - Apr 21, 2011
- Karat denies CPI-M asked Somnath to campaign - Apr 21, 2011
- Nobody calls me, and I don't call anybody: Somnath (With Somnath Chatterjee interview) - Apr 11, 2011
- Vote for Left Front, appeals Somnath - Apr 20, 2011
- Chatterjee makes false assertions in book: CPI-M - Jul 26, 2010
- OK if Somnath campaigns for CPI-M, says Yechury - Apr 15, 2011
- No decision on Somnath Chatterjee: Buddhadeb - Apr 24, 2011
- Somnath Chatterjee shares dais with Buddhadeb, Biman - Oct 07, 2010
- Somnath Chatterjee campaigns for CPI-M, attacks PM - Apr 24, 2011
- West Bengal CPI-M unit lashes out against Somnath over autobiography - Jul 26, 2010
- Trinamool will create anarchy in Bengal: Somnath Chatterjee - Apr 24, 2011
- Jyoti Basu asked me to preside over Lok Sabha trust vote: Somnath - Jan 17, 2010
- Politics of confrontation should be avoided, urges Somnath - Sep 23, 2009
- Subhas Chakraborty - a Communist with a difference (Obituary) - Aug 03, 2009
- Congress should answer why allies named Manmohan: Left - Jun 14, 2012
Tags: bharatiya janata party, bjp, chakraborty, communist party of india, communist party of india marxist, CPI, expulsion, general secretary, Lok Sabha, party central committee, prakash, progressive alliance, public comments, secretariat, somnath chatterjee, state secretariat, trust motion, trust vote, UPA, west bengal