I am ready for live TV debate with Manmohan: AdvaniMarch 27th, 2009 - 12:08 am ICT by IANS
Seppa (Arunachal Pradesh), March 26 (IANS) Bharatiya Janata Party’s (BJP) prime ministerial candidate L.K. Advani Thursday challenged Prime Minister Manmohan Singh to a live television debate ahead of the Lok Sabha polls, like in the US, and also described
Manmohan Singh him as the weakest political head the country has ever seen.
“Let the prime minister come for a live TV debate for which I am ready. This is the practice prevalent in the US during elections,” Advani told an election rally in Sepa in East Kameng district of Arunachal Pradesh bordering China.
The BJP’s prime ministerial candidate also termed Manmohan Singh as the weakest prime minister India has ever seen.
“I have never seen a prime minister who has to take orders from the party high command to do anything for the country. Without Sonia Gandhi’s approval, nothing moves in the government,” Advani said at a modest gathering.
The BJP leader also challenged Manmohan Singh to contest parliamentary elections instead of taking the Rajya Sabha route. “Singh will be more acceptable to the people of India if he decides to fight the elections and go to the Lok Sabha,” Advani said.
Manmohan Singh is a member of Rajya Sabha from Assam.
Earlier, Advani addressed two election rallies in Assam where he lashed out at the Congress party for what he termed its failure to tackle infiltration from Bangladesh which has posed a threat to the country’s internal security.
Advani’s remarks come two days after Manmohan Singh challenged the BJP leader’s ability to rule India, saying his only contribution to “national welfare” was his role in the 1992 demolition of the Babri mosque.
Advani had on Tuesday termed Manmohan Singh a “weak” prime minister.
- Advani sting: People upset with BJP too (Lead) - May 31, 2012
- Finally, Advani-Gadkari feud out in the open (Third Lead) - Jun 01, 2012
- Advani shocker: People upset with BJP too (Second Lead) - May 31, 2012
- PM calls Advani's remark disgraceful, Sonia agitated (Second Lead) - Aug 08, 2012
- Advani like old gramaphone record, says Congress - Feb 15, 2011
- MPs queue up to vote for vice president (Second Lead) - Aug 07, 2012
- Manmohan should fight Lok Sabha to be PM: Advani - Mar 27, 2009
- PM weak, can't speak up against corruption: Advani - Feb 15, 2011
- PM asks Advani to wait for his chance (Lead) - Mar 23, 2011
- Manmohan Singh weakest PM: Advani - Oct 17, 2011
- BJP's PM wannabes more enthusiastic than party (Comment) - Sep 17, 2011
- Combative Manmohan refutes Opposition charges of buying MPs (Intro-roundup) - Mar 23, 2011
- Advani is emotive as Rajnath calls him PM material (Lead) - Nov 08, 2011
- Bihar leaders in war of words over PM candidate - Jun 19, 2012
- Advani hints he may not be PM candidate in 2014 - Sep 21, 2011
Tags: arunachal pradesh, babri mosque, bharatiya janata party, bjp leader, congress party, east kameng, election rallies, election rally, l k advani, lok sabha polls, manmohan singh, national welfare, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, prime ministerial candidate, rajya sabha, seppa, sonia gandhi, television debate, tv debate