I am not on trial, system is: TrivediMarch 16th, 2012 - 9:04 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, March 16 (IANS) Railway Minister Dinesh Trivedi was a surprise speaker at the India Today Conclave which opened here Friday.
Trivedi has been in the eye of the storm ever since he presented a railway budget that hiked rail fares for the first time in 10 years.
His budget has received applause from many quarters, including the railway unions, but his own party supremo, Mamata Banerjee is demanding tariff rollback and his replacement with her party confidante.
Trivedi stepped on the dais to a thunderous applause and looked remarkably relaxed. When India Today editorial director M.J. Akbar asked about the possibility of a rollback, he said “If you roll back, you roll back on safety also.”
About his own job security, his response was equally calm.
“It’s difficult for the PM to take a call on my continuance. I am not on trial, the system is,” he said,
Trivedi claimed that he had taken a call for a generational change in the railways and he had followed his own judgment rather than trying to safeguard his position as the minister.
- Dinesh Trivedi sends resignation to PM - Mar 15, 2012
- Rollback of fares is PM's prerogative: Mamata - Mar 19, 2012
- Trivedi replacement a 'farce', says CPI-M (Lead, Changing dateline) - Mar 19, 2012
- Didi's diktat: Toe the party line or face the music - Mar 15, 2012
- Trinamool Congress demands fare hike roll-back - Mar 14, 2012
- Will quit if PM or Mamata ask me to: Trivedi (Lead) - Mar 15, 2012
- Mamata gets Left support on rail fare rollback (Lead) - Mar 15, 2012
- Dinesh Trivedi speaks to Mamata, to quit (Lead) - Mar 18, 2012
- Dinesh Trivedi speaks to Mamata, to quit (Second Lead) - Mar 18, 2012
- Want UPA but won't tolerate humiliation: Mamata (Lead) - Mar 19, 2012
- Dinesh Trivedi will be told when to go: Trinamool - Mar 15, 2012
- Trinamool demands fare hike roll-back, hints at Congress hand (Third Lead) - Mar 14, 2012
- West Bengal should withdraw power tariff hike: Congress - Jul 10, 2012
- Trivedi's rail fare hike rationale absurd: Trinamool MP - Mar 22, 2012
- Mamata summons Dinesh Trivedi to Kolkata - Mar 14, 2012
Tags: banerjee, confidante, continuance, dais, dinesh, editorial director, eye of the storm, generational change, india today conclave, job security, m j akbar, New Delhi, rail fares, railway budget, railway minister, railway unions, railways, rollback, thunderous applause, trivedi