I am not fond of LTTE, it killed my father: RahulMarch 25th, 2009 - 9:11 pm ICT by IANS
Puducherry, March 25 (IANS) Congress general secretary Rahul Gandhi Wednesday said he was not “particularly fond” of Sri Lanka’s Tamil Tigers because they killed his father Rajiv Gandhi.
He told a press conference here: “The LTTE (Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam) is a terrorist group. I am not particularly fond of LTTE myself. It killed my father.”
A LTTE woman suicide bomber assassinated former prime minister Rajiv Gandhi at an election rally near Chennai in May 1991. India outlawed the LTTE the next year.
Gandhi, however, said that India was doing its best to protect Tamil civilians caught in the conflict between the LTTE and the military in Sri Lanka’s north. “We are trying to help the situation there,” he said.
- May 21, 1991: The assassination that also killed Tamil Eelam (Comment) - May 22, 2011
- DMK indirectly behind Rajiv assassination: Jayalalithaa - May 24, 2011
- India wanted LTTE 'put in its place': Norway report - Nov 11, 2011
- Homage to Rajiv Gandhi on death anniversary - May 21, 2012
- Don't seek exclusive rights to Sri Lanka, India told - Mar 01, 2012
- Assembly resolution on Rajiv killers not binding: Khurshid - Aug 30, 2011
- Release Rajiv Gandhi killers, appeals Karunanidhi - Oct 06, 2011
- Don't politicise Rajiv Gandhi's assassination: Congress - May 24, 2011
- President, leaders pay homage to Rajiv Gandhi - May 21, 2010
- Rajiv killers' pleas adjourned till Nov 29 - Oct 28, 2011
- Anna condemns attack on Prashant Bhushan, asks for security - Oct 12, 2011
- President rejects mercy petition of Rajiv killers (Lead) - Aug 11, 2011
- Rajiv Gandhi assassination: three to hang Sep 9 (Lead) - Aug 26, 2011
- Gandhi accused Nalini breaks down - Sep 07, 2011
- LTTE tortured and killed while fighting Indians: Book - Jul 12, 2012
Tags: chennai, conflict, congress, election rally, former prime minister, general secretary, India, liberation tigers of tamil eelam, ltte woman, march 25, puducherry, rahul gandhi, rajiv gandhi, sri lanka, tamil civilians, tamil tigers, terrorist group, woman suicide bomber