I accept re-nomination with all humility, says AnsariJuly 14th, 2012 - 9:54 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 14 (IANS) Vice President Hamid Ansari, who has been again chosen as the United Progressive Alliance (UPA) candidate for the post, said Saturday that he accepted his renomination with humility and thanked parties supporting him.
Talking to mediapersons here along with Parliamentary Affairs Minister Pawan Kumar Bansal, Ansari thanked UPA chairperson Sonia Gandhi, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and the parties for reposing faith in him.
“So rare an honour can only be accepted in all humility. I thank the honourable prime minister, honourable chairperson of UPA, other ingredient members of UPA and other parties who have supported my candidature for the confidence reposed in me for shouldering once again the responsibility of this high office,” Ansari said.
Bansal lauded Ansari’s contribution as the Rajya Sabha chairman and insisted decision to renominate him at the UPA meeting was “unanimous”.
Asked about the Trinamool Congress stance, which has not concurred with the decision to renominate Ansari, Bansal reiterated that the decision was unanimous.
Ansari was elected vice president in 2007 and his term will come to an end Aug 10.
Election for the vice president’s post is scheduled Aug 7. Last date for filing nominations is July 20.
- Vice president poll: UPA renominates Ansari, BJP bracing for contest (Roundup) - Jul 15, 2012
- UPA renominates Ansari for vice president; Trinamool does not concur (Second Lead) - Jul 14, 2012
- Jaswant Singh as NDA's vice presidential candidate (Lead) - Jul 16, 2012
- Congress likely to re-nominate Hamid Ansari - Jul 09, 2012
- Decision on vice president later: Mamata - Jul 17, 2012
- Nitish may back Ansari as vice president (Lead) - Jul 11, 2012
- Would desperate Mamata be able to save face in another battle? (West Bengal newsletter) - Jul 14, 2012
- Ansari files nomination for vice president (Lead) - Jul 18, 2012
- Presidential fight finalised, focus shifts on Ansari's successor - Jun 23, 2012
- UPA renominates Ansari for vice president (Lead) - Jul 14, 2012
- Pranab survives Sangma googly; BJP waves 'fabricated' letter (Intro Roundup) (With Image) - Jul 03, 2012
- Coal allotment: Chorus for PM's resignation, parliament adjourned (Third Lead) - Aug 21, 2012
- Sonia meets Congress MPs ahead of presidential poll - Jul 17, 2012
- Pranab survives Sangma googly; BJP waves 'fabricated' letter (Roundup) (With images) - Jul 03, 2012
- NDA to finalise nominee for vice president Monday - Jul 16, 2012
Tags: affairs minister, bansal, candidature, chairperson, hamid ansari, honourable, humility, july 14, last date, manmohan, manmohan singh, New Delhi, parliamentary affairs, pawan kumar, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, progressive alliance, rajya sabha, sonia gandhi, trinamool congress