Hunt for new Arunachal CM on, Nabam Tuki emerging as frontrunnerMay 4th, 2011 - 7:50 pm ICT by IANS
Itanagar, May 5 (IANS) The search for a new chief minister is on in Arunachal Pradesh with six names doing the rounds even as hectic lobbying has already begun after the death of Dorjee Khandu in a helicopter crash.
Amid the gloom and sadness, political activities have started in state capital Itanagar with three central ministers - V. Narayanaswamy, Mukul Wasnik, and Bijoy Handique - and several senior All India Congress Committee (AICC) leaders monitoring the political developments.
Six names have come up for consideration - Nabam Tuki, the urban development minister and Arunachal Pradesh Congress president; Jarbom Gamlin, power minister and former MP; Tako Dabi, the home minister; Setong Sena, the finance minister; Mukut Mithi, a former chief minister; and Lok Sabha MP Takam Sanjay.
“The Congress high command is aware of the situation, but this is not the time to discuss such things as our priority is to get the bodies and perform the last rites,” Handique the central minister for development of northeastern region (DONER), said.
The chances of Nabam Tuki emerging as the unanimous choice are not ruled out as he is one of the senior Congress leaders and also the president of the state Congress party.
Some of the legislators have also sent their views to the central leadership about their choice and preference.
It is likely a new chief minister would be chosen soon and would be sworn in latest by Thursday.
There are also chances of a caretaker chief minister being sworn in pending a final selection of a permanent chief minister by the Congress high command.
- Operation on to retrieve Arunachal chief minister's body - May 05, 2011
- Nabam Tuki sworn in as Arunachal Pradesh CM - Nov 01, 2011
- Arunachal chief minister denies minister's abduction charge - Oct 02, 2011
- Gamlin sworn in as Arunachal chief minister (Lead) - May 06, 2011
- Committed to Khandu's dream of developed Arunachal: PM (Lead) - May 06, 2011
- PM, Sonia to pay last respects to Khandu in Itanagar - May 06, 2011
- Arunachal saddened over untimely demise of Chief Minister Khandu - May 04, 2011
- Sonia Gandhi to nominate Arunachal chief minister - Oct 29, 2011
- Khandu was one of best performing chief ministers (Obituary) - May 04, 2011
- Congress releases list of candidates for Arunachal Pradesh polls - Sep 14, 2009
- Dorjee Khandu's body brought to Itanagar, last rites Friday (Lead) - May 05, 2011
- Chidambaram in Arunachal - May 12, 2012
- Indian lawmaker says strategic Arunachal deserves Delhi sops - Mar 13, 2011
- Mukherjee seeks support in northeast - Jul 06, 2012
- Arunachal chief minister faces dissidence - Sep 15, 2011
Tags: aicc, arunachal pradesh, bijoy, central leadership, congress leaders, congress party, congress president, development minister, doing the rounds, gamlin, helicopter crash, home minister, india congress committee, Lok Sabha, mukul, mukut, northeastern region, power minister, state congress, unanimous choice