Humour in the hall, courtesy Kamal NathMay 22nd, 2009 - 8:45 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 22 (IANS) Congress leader Kamal Nath unwittingly injected humour into the sombre swearing-in ceremony of the new government Friday when he began to take his oath before President Pratibha Patil could prompt him, and then started walking off without signing the register.
Perhaps a little too eager to be sworn in as minister, Kamal Nath walked up and said in Hindi “Main Kamal Nath” much to the amusement of the gathering at the Rashtrapati Bhavan. He then paused, smiled bashfully and continued after Patil began the oath.
Even the normally impassive prime minister Manmohan Singh broke into a smile at the gaffe.
Unfortunately there was more in store for the seasoned politician. After the president administered the oath, Kamal Nath began to walk away before the mandatory signing of the register, triggering a fresh round of laughter. He soon realised his mistake and then backtracked.
- Gaffes and laughs at Rashtrapati Bhavan (Sidelights) - May 28, 2009
- Pradeep Kumar sworn in as CVC - Jul 14, 2011
- Presidential changeover with 'hazar salam', buggy ride - Jul 21, 2012
- Gamlin sworn in as Arunachal chief minister (Lead) - May 06, 2011
- Maharashtra Cabinet expanded to 31 ministers - Nov 19, 2010
- Ajit Singh sworn-in union minister - Dec 18, 2011
- Shuffling the deck: Highs and Lows - Jul 12, 2011
- Akhilesh Yadav becomes UP's youngest chief minister (Third Lead) - Mar 15, 2012
- BSP joins Uttarakhand government - Mar 20, 2012
- Justice Mahesh Mittal Kumar sworn-in as J&K; chief justice - Jun 08, 2012
- Jostling for cabinet berths in Mumbai ahead of swearing-in - Nov 11, 2010
- PM, Sonia to pay last respects to Khandu in Itanagar - May 06, 2011
- Akhilesh takes over, shunts out Mayawati loyalists (Evening Lead) - Mar 15, 2012
- After 34 years, swearing in the name of god - May 20, 2011
- Pranab Mukherjee sworn in as India's 13th president (Lead) - Jul 25, 2012
Tags: congress leader, gaffe, humour, kamal nath, laughter, manmohan, manmohan singh, mistake, New Delhi, politician, president pratibha patil, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, rashtrapati bhavan, signing of the register, smile, swearing in ceremony