Hugo Chavez calls doctor ‘a liar’ after saying he has 2 years left to liveOctober 28th, 2011 - 3:44 am ICT by BNO News
CARACAS, VENEZUELA (BNO NEWS) — Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez has described a doctor who claimed to be part of his former medical team as ‘a big liar’. The doctor previously said Chavez has only two years left to live.
Earlier this month, before the Venezuelan president underwent surgery, Dr. Navarrete described the tumor in Chavez’s pelvis as ‘very aggressive’ and, as a result, he said “his life expectancy could be of up to two years.”
Navarrete said he was part of a team of three doctors which attended Chavez for several years at Miraflores Palace, before he was diagnosed with cancer. But he claimed to have met with other doctors and received detailed information regarding the president’s illness.
However, Chavez described the doctor as “a big liar” on national television, saying Dr. Navarrete is violating the ethical code of a doctor. “That is a big liar. I don’t remember him. He says he was my doctor and he isn’t. He says he operated my mother and he didn’t operate her. He is a big liar.”
Chavez continued: “Without ever seeing any illness, carrying out any medical exam, nor having any information [..], he says that I have two years of life left.”
“I hope he lives many more years,” he added, “and that everyone here lives on. But that is a terrible thing [to say.] I am sure Navarrete is not innocent. We’d have to ask how much he was paid to say that.”
“What are his intentions?” Chavez asked, “to disturb the nation’s climate, to fill the country with uncertainty, trying to convince the country that I am dying.” President Chavez continued by saying that he was going the complete opposite way, stating that “every day I am more alive. Every day I am healthier. Every day I am better. That is the truth.”
Navarrete also alleged the ‘aggressive cancer’ was the reason behind the decision to schedule elections earlier than planned. He further said he had been forced to leave the country, but that he is not a “traitor of the country.”
The Venezuelan President was on a three-country tour in June when doctors detected a tumor with cancerous cells in his pelvic area during a planned medical checkup in La Havana. He underwent an initial surgery on June 11 to drain his pelvic area and begin antibiotic treatment. A second surgery was then performed to remove a cancerous tumor.
Last Friday, Chavez said he is free of cancer after returning from Cuba where he underwent more medical tests. “I have concluded a vital stage of treatment (…) The tests support the conclusion that I am free from disease,” he said.
The left wing president has been in office since 1999 and plans to run for re-election in late 2012.
- Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez says he is free of cancer - Oct 21, 2011
- Chavez's former doctor flees Venezuela - Oct 22, 2011
- Chavez back in Cuba for cancer treatment - Mar 26, 2012
- Chavez in good physical condition after operation: Venezuela - Feb 29, 2012
- Cuba releases photos of Chavez recuperating - Jul 04, 2011
- Chavez returns to Cuba for cancer treatment - Apr 09, 2012
- Chavez in Cuba for another round of cancer treatment - Apr 16, 2012
- Chavez says he's free of cancer - Oct 21, 2011
- Chavez back in Cuba for more surgery - Feb 26, 2012
- Chavez heads back to Venezuela - Mar 17, 2012
- Chavez takes to Twitter after surgery - Mar 02, 2012
- Cancer once made Chavez consider leaving politics - Sep 05, 2012
- Hugo Chavez to start chemotherapy treatment - Jul 18, 2011
- Chavez in 'good health' after treatment - Jun 10, 2012
- Chavez says his progress is favourable - Mar 13, 2012
Tags: aggressive cancer, bno, caracas venezuela, doctor who, ethical code, hugo chavez, liar, life expectancy, medical exam, medical team, national television, navarrete, pelvis, president chavez, president hugo chavez, terrible thing, trai, tumor, venezuelan president hugo, venezuelan president hugo chavez