Huge Trinamool gathering at Singur blocks highwaySeptember 16th, 2008 - 8:05 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Sep 16 (IANS) Hundreds of supporters of the opposition Trinamool Congress gathered in front of the Tata Motors Nano plant in Singur in West Bengal Tuesday, disrupting traffic movement again on a crucial highway.The National Highway-2 (NH2) near Singur that trucks use to reach Kolkata was blocked by the huge gathering. The meeting dais was set up by the side of the highway, ignoring objections by the National Highways Authority of India (NHAI), police said.
“NHAI has not given permission to the Trinamool Congress to set up the dais and call for the political gathering beside the highway. However, no complaint has been lodged against them so far. But we are ready to take necessary action if the situation demands,” Police Inspector General (law and order) Raj Kanojia told IANS.
Kanojia said that “sufficient police personnel” have been posted at the highway to avoid any untoward situation.
The Trinamool-led gathering was called Tuesday to demand that farmland acquired “forcibly” by the state government for the Nano plant be returned to the farmers.
- CPI-M leader keeps away from his 'Occupy Singur' movement - Jul 03, 2012
- Industry will be set up in Singur: Buddhadeb - Jan 09, 2011
- Congress seeks all party meet on Singur issue - Jun 24, 2012
- Mamata rejects Bengal government offer on Singur land - Nov 18, 2010
- Parties scramble to capture Singur turf (West Bengal Newsletter) - Jun 30, 2012
- Mamata buckles under anti-land acquisition stir, cancels Sankarail project (Lead) - Jan 14, 2011
- Bengal minister challenges Trinamool on land acquisition - Nov 17, 2010
- Investment in Bengal only if there is no hostility: Tata - Aug 30, 2011
- Peaceful voting in fourth round of West Bengal polls (Third Lead) - May 03, 2011
- Making Singur land accord public will take time: Bengal minister - May 27, 2011
- Singur farmers distribute sweets, throw colour - Sep 28, 2011
- Singur siege continues, another car maker suspends production - Aug 27, 2008
- Mamata wants Hong Kong style 'financial district' in Goa - Feb 06, 2012
- West Bengal housing minister threatened me: Mamata - Nov 04, 2010
- Trinamool wins in Bengal's political flashpoints - May 16, 2011
Tags: congress, dais, farmers, farmland, India, inspector general, law and order, national highways authority, nh2, nhai, objections, opposition, police inspector, state government, tata motors, traffic movement, trucks, west bengal