Hours after meeting PM, Samajwadi Party MP joins BSPJuly 19th, 2008 - 6:00 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 19 (IANS) Within hours of a breakfast meeting with Prime Minister Manmohan Singh where he supported the India-US civil nuclear deal, the Samajwadi Party’s Rajya Sabha MP Shahid Siddiqui Saturday announced he was joining the Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP). Siddiqui, who went to meet BSP supremo and Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Mayawati immediately after coming out of the prime minister’s official residence at 7 Race Course Road, told reporters that he was “feeling suffocated in the party”.
“Since last month, I was feeling suffocated in the party. And I was forced to support the deal. This deal is against the Muslims and India. This deal will make us the slave of the US and lead us to darkness,” said Siddiqui, who was flanked by Mayawati.
“On this nuclear deal, the government must go. I am joining BSP because of my conscience and not because of any underhand dealing,” said Siddiqui, who runs the Urdu daily Nai Duniya.
“I will fight elections under the leadership of behenji (Mayawati),” he announced.
Mayawati also denied there was any deal behind Siddiqui’s decision.
“Siddiqui has joined us on his own after seeing our stand on the nuclear deal. We welcome him,” said a beaming Mayawati.
Siddiqui attended the prime minister’s breakfast meeting with newspaper editors. He had gone to the G8 meet in Japan earlier this month, as a member of the media contingent accompanying Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, on the insistence of party general secretary Amar Singh.
- Samajwadi Party MP joins BSP, says the government must go (Lead) - Jul 19, 2008
- SP distances from Siddiqui for Modi interview - Jul 28, 2012
- Samjawadi Party frustrated, says Shahid Siddiqui - Jul 30, 2012
- BSP fears for Mayawati's safety, slams UPA and UP government - May 04, 2012
- Mayawati calls meet to take stock of rout - Mar 11, 2012
- Congress cannot take our support for granted: Shahid Siddiqui - Mar 13, 2012
- Wikileaks expose on Mayawati distorted: Official - Sep 05, 2011
- Kingmakers and spoilers - Jul 19, 2008
- Cabinet reshuffle soon, says PM - Jun 29, 2011
- BSP runs for cover as skeletons tumble out (News Analysis) - May 17, 2012
- Graft eroding public trust in politicians: Mamata - Jun 19, 2012
- Mayawati fast-tracks preparations for Lok Sabha polls - Apr 03, 2012
- From PM house to Mayawati, Siddiqui says 'government should go' - Jul 19, 2008
- Modi's 'hang me' remark triggers Congress, BJP slug-fest (Lead) - Jul 26, 2012
- Ministers' sacking part of Mayawati's image make-over exercise - Jan 02, 2012
Tags: amar singh, bahujan samaj party, bahujan samaj party bsp, breakfast meeting, chief minister, contingent, general secretary, insistence, manmohan, manmohan singh, nai duniya, New Delhi, newspaper editors, nuclear deal, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, rajya sabha, Samajwadi Party, shahid, siddiqui