Hosni Mubarak to be moved to prison hospitalApril 25th, 2011 - 7:53 am ICT by IANS
Moscow, April 25 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Egypt’s public prosecutor Sunday ordered the transfer of ailing ex-leader Hosni Mubarak to a prison hospital in the capital Cairo, ahead of questioning over corruption and abuse allegations.
“The public prosecutor has ordered the interior ministry to transfer former president Hosni Mubarak to Mazra’a hospital in Torah prison,” the statement carried by the state news agency MENA said.
The 82-year-old is being investigated over the deaths of hundreds of protesters during the 18-day popular uprising that forced him from power in February.
He is also under scrutiny for alleged abuse of power during his 30-year rule, including gas exports to Israel at a low price in a secretive deal that cost Egypt $714 million.
Mubarak has been under detention in a hospital in the Red Sea resort of Sharm el-Sheikh, where he has been treated for heart problems. The former leader has been held up in the city since his ouster.
His sons Alaa and Gamal have also been detained over allegations of corruption and the heavy-handed crackdown on protesters.
Human rights groups say about 800 people were killed during the protests that led to Mubarak’s downfall.
Mubarak and his family have been banned from leaving the country. Their assets have been frozen.
- Mubarak's daughters-in-law banned from leaving Egypt - Jun 17, 2011
- Egypt extends detention of Mubarak's sons for 15 days - Apr 27, 2011
- Mubarak to be transferred to Cairo for trial - Aug 03, 2011
- Mubarak may be transferred to prison hospital - May 26, 2011
- Egyptian prosecutors question Mubarak's sons - Apr 18, 2011
- Is Mubarak still in Sharm el-Sheikh? - Apr 17, 2011
- Mubarak's wife detained in corruption probe - May 14, 2011
- Mubarak to go on trial over protester shootings - May 25, 2011
- Hosni Mubarak's health is deteriorating - Jun 06, 2012
- Mubarak's health stable after unconsciousness - May 28, 2011
- Egypt court orders dissolution of Mubarak's party - Apr 16, 2011
- Mubarak, two sons detained for 15 days (Lead) - Apr 13, 2011
- Former first lady Suzanne Mubarak detained for 15 days in Egypt - May 14, 2011
- Egypt sets up committee to re-check Mubarak's health - May 20, 2011
- Egypt's general prosecutor mulls shifting Mubarak to jail - Apr 21, 2011
Tags: abuse allegations, abuse of power, alaa, crackdown, downfall, former president, gamal, gas exports, heart problems, hosni mubarak, human rights groups, interior ministry, ouster, president hosni mubarak, prison hospital, public prosecutor, red sea resort, ria novosti, sharm el sheikh, state news