Hooda wants Padma Bhushan honour for Olympic boxers (Lead)January 28th, 2009 - 1:58 pm ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, Jan 28 (IANS) Haryana Chief Minister Bhupinder Singh Hooda Wednesday requested the central government to award the Padma Bhushan to Olympic bronze medal winner Vijender Kumar and others who performed well at the 2008 Beijing games since they were left out of the national honours list this year.Hooda appealed to the centre that Vijender Kumar as well as boxers Akhil Kumar and Jatinder Kumar, and wrestler Yogeshwar Dutt - all of whom made it to the quarterfinal events in respective categories in the 2008 Olympics - be suitably honoured.
Hooda said that Vijender Kumar had brought laurels to the country by winning a boxing bronze medal in the Olympics.
The boxers had earlier stated that they felt upset that the national awards committee chose to ignore them this year despite their good performance in the Olympic Games and world championships.
“What else are we supposed to do to prove our worth? Is this the way to encourage sportsmen by ignoring them?” boxer Akhil Kumar told a TV channel.
Even India’s first Olympics gold medal winner Abhinav Bindra, who was conferred a Padma Bhushan this year, expressed surprise that the other Olympic sportsmen were ignored in the awards selection.
- Hooda wants Padma Bhushan for Olympic medal winner - Jan 28, 2009
- Haryana Police to give Rs. 51 lakh to Yogeshwar Dutt - Aug 23, 2012
- Haryana doubles cash rewards for Rio - Aug 26, 2012
- Sushil Kumar should have got Padma award: Coach - Jan 29, 2010
- Bindra, Vijender part of Samsung Sports Ratna programme - Jun 29, 2010
- Sushil Kumar to be India's flag bearer at Olympics - Jul 15, 2012
- Olympics: Indian contingent greeted with huge cheers - Jul 28, 2012
- Indian athletes' London tryst amid soaring expectations - Jul 26, 2012
- Haryana Olympics players to get over Rs.6.5 crore - Aug 16, 2012
- Olympians with Haryana connection earn millions - Aug 12, 2012
- Olympics: India on a medal count - Jul 27, 2012
- After dream medal, marriage on cards for Yogeshwar (Lead, Combining London/Chandigarh stories) - Aug 12, 2012
- The best Olympics for India (Review) - Aug 12, 2012
- We are getting better at Olympics: IOA - Aug 12, 2012
- Sushil Kumar named India's flag-bearer at London Olympics (Lead) - Jul 15, 2012
Tags: 2008 olympics, abhinav bindra, akhil kumar, boxers, bronze medal winner, central government, chief minister, first olympics, gold medal winner, honours list, jan 28, jatinder, laurels, national awards committee, olympic bronze medal, olympic games, sportsmen, tv channel, world championships, yogeshwar