Himachal seeks funds for renovating heritage buildingsSeptember 16th, 2008 - 11:05 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Sep 16 (IANS) Himachal Pradesh Governor Prabha Rau Tuesday requested the central government to sanction Rs.110 million (Rs.11 crore) for the renovation of the Raj Bhawan, also known as the Barnes Court, and the Town Hall in the state capital Shimla.”Ninety-one British-era heritage buildings in Shimla are in bad shape and the central government should depute experts to advice the state government on renovation of these buildings,” she said while addressing a governors’ conference here.
“Barnes Court and Town Hall need Rs.11 crore for renovation and the central government should sanction the amount for starting renovation works,” she added.
There are 37 heritage buildings within the heritage zone and 54 heritage buildings outside it in Shimla.
The governor also called for increasing the state’s quota in the armed forces in view of the topography of the hill state and gallantry track record of its soldiers.
She requested the central government to implement “one-rank-one-pension” scheme for the ex-servicemen.
Rau also called for increasing the rice quota from 7,118 tonnes to 13,340 tonnes, allowing the state government to levy 10 paise per unit generation tax on all power units and making provision of 12 percent free electricity for all the power projects commissioned before 1990 in the hilly state.
- Rs.454-crore ADB loan for Himachal tourism development - Oct 03, 2010
- Heritage sites in 'Queen of Hills' set for facelift (Letter from Shimla) - Jun 19, 2012
- Dhumal opens heritage museum in Shimla - Aug 06, 2011
- Dhumal asks for media's help on Shimla's historical buildings - Jun 19, 2010
- Himachal's British era assembly gets makeover - Feb 27, 2011
- Nod for official audit of Shimla's prized Wildflower Hall - Jul 15, 2011
- Now take a virtual tour of historic Himachal Raj Bhavan - Jul 09, 2009
- Karnataka looks beyond Bangalore to promote tourism - Jun 08, 2012
- Himachal to promote heritage tourism - Sep 27, 2009
- Shimla's Viceregal Lodge to display rare British era photos - Aug 31, 2010
- Himachal governor given warm send off - Jan 23, 2010
- For 111 years, church organ rings in Christmas in Shimla - Dec 24, 2010
- Coffee table book to toast good old Shimla - Dec 02, 2009
- Sri Lankan president tours Shimla - Jun 10, 2010
- For Games, Himachal tourist guides get English lessons - Jul 22, 2010
Tags: bad shape, barnes, central government, crore, free electricity, gallantry, heritage buildings, New Delhi, paise, pension scheme, power projects, quota, raj, rank one, rau, renovation works, state government, tonnes, topography, town hall